Salmon internal temp

Started by okeejohn, March 08, 2009, 03:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

I am on my last hour of smoking my first salmon following Kummok's recipe and I was wondering at what internal temperature does it have to be at? 135 degrees?? Also, noticed some "white buggers" and decreased the temp. Have I ruined my first batch or is it pretty forgiving.

Okeejohn

westexasmoker

Paging Kummok!  The first time I did salmon I had the booger problem, but it still turned out most excellent!  I think its pretty forgiving...just keep on keep'n on!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

John

I am by no means an expert on Kummok's Salmon but the boogers are merely a presentation issue. They won't affect the product at all. Anytime I've done it I've never measured the IT. I've only followed Kummok's directions.

This reminds me I need to some more!  ;)

Man... I love the stuff.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Kummok

Just a guess, but you're probably using farmed raised Atlantic salmon?!?!?  If so, the boogers are actually a hazardous nuclear waste by-product called methylethylcaca, produced by all soylent green products when prepared for human consumption.   Sorry Okeejohn....just feeling my oats tonight and having some fun wit ya!  :D :D

As WTS & Walleye say, it's a presentation issue and shows up when smoking salmon from time to time. The larger and moister the meat or the faster you try to reach highest smoke temp, the odds of white boogers increases. The nice thing is that they scrape off fairly well. Joking aside re: farmed Atlantic salmon, it does seem to produce more white boogers than wild, but wild salmon is certainly not immune. I never get it any my salmon anymore mainly because I make my pieces so small it just doesn't happen

Roadking

It's the fat that's been heated and is mixed with the water in the fish. Very similar to the scum that appears and floats to the top of the pot when cooking crabs or lobsters.

Totally harmless if you don't eat it. So what you should do is vacuum park a 20 pound piece and flash freeze it and send it to me for chemical testing. You know, just to be on the safe side..... ::)

KyNola

John,
You certainly haven't ruined your first batch of salmon.  I don't really pay a lot of attention to IT when following Kummok's recipe as it turns out great if you follow his smoking temps and times.  However, for sake of answering your question 135-140 should be adequate.

You are so in for a treat.  Reminds me, I'm out of salmon!

KyNola