• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Briket, Baby Backs, Whole chicken

Started by moses, March 14, 2009, 08:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moses

I just got my smoker tonight, i picked up some hickory and mesquite pucks. I have 3.5 pounds of beef brisket 1 rack of baby back ribs and 1 whole chicken "small bird". can i do all these together since my brisket is only 3.5 pounds. should i use the hickory or the mesquite. any suggestions would help and i dont mind moving something to the grill after smoking.

pensrock

I think the ribs and brisket would work out fine but I always try to do poultry at higher temps than ribs and brisket. You may get away with it if you only smoke the bird for a couple hours than finish it off on the grill. The higher temp helps crisping up the skin.

Welcome to the forums, be sure to check out the recipe site, there are a lot of great recipies there as well as good advice.
pens

Smokin Soon

In my way if thinking, a combination smoke like that for a "first smoke" is an invitation to disaster for a new user. Pick one of the things you would like to do and search the forum and the recipe sight for ideas.
It's kind of a "walk before you run" theory to help you know cook times and temps. Just a thought, as a large load of anything is more difficult to judge in the Bradley and a mix of meat makes it worse. We are all here to help, so ask away!

West Coast Kansan

I am with Pensrock.  You can do the chicken smoke first and then finish it in the oven or on the grill.

This leaves you with Ribs and brisket.  The brisket will go in below the ribs and will still take longer to cook than your ribs.

Good luck and welcome here.  Let us know how you come out...   :)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

moses

hey guys thanks for all your help its 7:30am in NY right now central not the city. its all fired up and losing its virginity. so how long do you think the brisket will take at 225. its only 3 and a half pounds about 1.5 to 2 inches thick. its supposed to be in the low to mid 50's here today HEAT WAVE. i figure i got about 6-7 hours based on its size what do you guys think? i was up till 3am reading all the posts lots of great stuff on here.

Habanero Smoker

By the time you see this your brisket will probably be done. I'm not good with providing times for food smoked/cooked in the Bradley. I rarely cook a brisket that small, and usually have something else in the smoker.

If you have a food probe, take the brisket out when it hits 185°F - 195°F. If you don't have a probe, use a long two prong fork, insert it into the meat and twist. When it comes apart easily it is done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

moses

Well that was amazing!!!!!! i did the brisket the ribs and the bird. all ontime for dinner and all warm... i smoked the brisket and the ribs together for 4.5 hours using half hickory and half misquete. i then removed them from the smoker and placed in aluminum pans covered with tin foil. i put some apple juice in the tins prior to the meat and put on the grill so that when the meat went in the apple juice was already the same temp as the meat. i then cooked  them in my grill at 225 for another 4.5 hours. i put the brisket in the foil towel and microwave. for an hour.. the bird went in the smoker right after the other meat went in the grill then the bird went to the grill once the brisket went to the microwave. the bird was oozing juice from everywhere i did the beer can thing wow it was great. the ribs were falling off the bone and the brisket was pulled apart by hand with no effort.  Not only was this my first time smoking anything this was my first time cooking brisket and my first time cooking a bird. i took some pics but do not know how to post them yet... thanks to everybody who ever posted a message on this board cause i probably read it last night. i was up to 3am reading them then up at 6am to get started..

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Congrats Moses!  ;)

Sounds like you nailed it right outta the blocks.  8)

Here's a link to some good directions on posting photos.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caneyscud

Moses,

It's fun isn't it?

and addicting!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Enigmatic Pontificator
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smokin Soon

Congrats on the successful smoke! I find it quite a challenge to have a mixed smoke come out perfect. Cant wait to see the pics!

moses

hey thanks guys yeah this is alot of fun im actualy losing sleep thinking about it and how im going to do by butt this weekend. i feel like a kid at christmas only this year i will be making the meat!!!!