• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

honey mustard butt?

Started by moses, March 16, 2009, 07:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moses

hey guys im going to be doing my first butt this weekend ;) i  have heard alot of people say to rub yellow mustard and you favorite rubb on it 24hrs before and putt it in the fridge. my question is has anybody tried a honey mustard. and also what is the difference between a butt and a boston butt?

Smokin Soon

The mustard has no effect on the flavor, it just gives your rub something to dig in better. As far as the cut of pork, the best one is the one that is on sale! It's all good.

Tenpoint5

Moses, the CYM (Cheap Yellow Mustard) does exactly what Smoking says its is just something for your rub to adhere to. It will also help form somewhat of a bark on your butts. Butt and Boston Butt same chunk of meat in my book.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Boston butt is a name generally used for pork butt except (strangely enough) in Boston.  They ain't no Boston butts in Boston.  At least none you would smoke (Quit now, Ka, before you swallow that foot).

Habanero Smoker

Hi Moses;

Welcome to the forum.

In the past I have used mustard, and you cannot taste it. Honey mustard may give the pulled pork a slightly sweeter tastes. I now use olive oil, because it is less messy and accomplishes the same thing.

As others have pointed out, butt and Boston butt are the same cut. It comes from the upper shoulder, and the lower part is called the picnic shoulder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

I'm with Habs.  Been using oils the last few years to help hold the rub on.  Sometimes use a spray oil, put the rub on, then spray again to "set" the rub.  I'm not a neat guy, and I tend to get the CYM in and on things I shouldn't.  Not a fan of sweet rubs, so have not used honey mustard.  Debatable is how long to let the rub sit on the meat before grilling.  Some swear by 24 hours or longer, others such as me, tend to put it on then put the meat on the grill.  But then, my rubs sometimes consist of salt and pepper.  Will use walnut oil on steaks for a slightly different flavor. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

moses

hey thanks for all the replys. i was thinking maybe a BBQ sauce bath instead of mustand has anybody done this. i love bbq sauce the sweeter the better. and also i have a question about taking the IT. when i open the smoker the IT temp will say a temp then after a couple minutes it will fall what temp is the correct temp ? should i take the temp with a temp gauge that hasnt been in the heat how does all that work? once again im very new to all this!!! thanks in advance.

Caneyscud

Not sure if I would give that Butt a bath at first especially with a real sweet sauce.  Sugar has a tendency to burn and char and otherwise get nasty! Unless of course you like burnt sugar!  ;D  Last 30 minutes would be a better time.  The IT we refer to is the Internal Temperature of the meat - i.e. the thermometer probe of a remote reading thermometer is stuck in the thickest part of the meat.  Being there, the IT should not change much if any with a quick door open and close.   Or, an instant reading thermometer is being inserted in the meat.  The cabinet temperature will go down, when you open the door (the fewer times the better) and then go back up.  If you are using one of the fork thermometers, they take awhile to read the real temperature, especially starting it out cold.  And if it took long enough the heat is escaping out the open door and I guess it could lower the IT if long enough.  How are you taking the IT?

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Enigmatic Pontificator
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

moses

saturday night i did my first smoke on a brisket. i put a themometer in the meat smoked for 4 hours changed water then 4 hours later i check the temp and it said 185. i pulled out the thermometer then checked 2 hours later the thermometer was not in the meat during those 2hours so i put it back in and it read about 160 so i was kinda confused as to what would have been the real temp. i was using a $8. therm so i will be getting a better one tonight. so wich would be the real temp the one where the therm is left in the meat while its cooking or the one when i put it in and watched it come up to temp.

Gizmo

The location of the probe can greatly affect the temperature.  If you are not in the center the first time, it would read higher.  The second time could also have been in fat and that would read lower than the meat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Stargazer

Looks like the guru's got you covered on the mustard part.

As for Butt and Boston Butt, I read the reason the shoulder was given this name was started before and during the American Revolution.

Back then the only place to process meats was in Boston at the time. The fattiest and toughest parts were shipped in casks or barrels up there to be processed and redistributed to the colonial army. Back then casks and barrels used for storage and shipment were called "butts" for slang, and the shoulders being so big were always shipped there in them.

Just kind of a neat trivia :D
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com