• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Should I add a drip pan when doing prime rib or a roast in OBS?

Started by Mongo Johnson, July 11, 2009, 10:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mongo Johnson

I've got a prime rib from Costco calling out to be cooked today. In my Weber grill I add a drip tray . . . should this also be done in the Bradley, even if I trim the roast? Or, if I don't trim?

pensrock

I would say yes, it will catch any drippings that do fall and keep from making a big mess in the bottom of the tower. Also if enough fat comes out and there is nothing to catch it, it may catch fire?

degenerazn

NePaSmoKer

Here is the one i use and its fast and easy to make. Put the roast on the 2nd shelf support and a foil pan on the rack just above the v-tray to catch drippings.

1 1/2 c water
2 cups of drippings from the roast even some beef peices
1/4 tsp pepper
salt to taste
1/4 ts crushed red pepper flakes (opt)
1/4 tsp garlic salt

In a large saucepan, combine the water, beef drippings, pepper, garlic salt, and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes.

nepas

degenerazn

Thanks nepas.  I'm gonna try to smoke some prime rib in the next couple of weeks.  Should I just do a salt and pepper rub?  And about how long does it need to smoke for, for a nice juicy medium rare.  Any particular kind of bisquettes I should use? Hickory, apple, etc?

scotts87

ohhh Im anxious to hear how this turns out!! I don't believe I will get a chance to do a prime rib any time soon, but its definitely on my list of things to make with my Bradley!

Ka Honu

Quote from: degenerazn on July 15, 2009, 11:35:01 AM...  I'm gonna try to smoke some prime rib in the next couple of weeks...

Pretty much the same subject in this topic.  Check it out for some hints I've gotten from other forum members.