• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Booze & bisquettes

Started by Ka Honu, July 13, 2009, 03:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

I'm thinking of adding a bit of whiskey flavor to my smoke (for a standing rib roast) but don't have any whiskey-flavored bisquettes.

• Can I spray booze on the bisquettes I do have and let them dry before using?  (I figure if I soak them, they'll fall apart).

• Can I put a dish of whiskey in the smoker (either on a rack or next to the drip bowl)?

• Any other ideas?

Thanks.

OU812

I have put some JD in a spray bottle and mist the roast b4 the smoke and once more after the smoke and it did add that whisky flavor to it.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Ka Honu

I would not recommend spraying booze on the bisquettes they might fall apart if they get to moist, or swell up and jam in the smoke generator.
Quote from: OU812 on July 13, 2009, 03:35:09 PM
I have put some JD in a spray bottle and mist the roast b4 the smoke and once more after the smoke and it did add that whisky flavor to it.
This sounds like the best way to get the whiskey flavour

Brian

pensrock

I would just drink the whiskey.  ;D

Ka Honu

pens - Normally I'd agree with you but while I can cook with bourbon, I can't drink it (because of having drank way too much really bad bourbon in my misbegotten youth).  Most bottles of whiskey last about 20 minutes in my house.  A bottle of bourbon will sit on the shelf for about 4 years (I use about 6 ounces a year in pecan pies for my New Years Open House).

Blue Legend

Ka Honu

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 13, 2009, 06:50:24 PM
Quote from: pensrock on July 13, 2009, 06:36:45 PM

Yeah, me too

You're a Kiwi; you'll drink anything.  I, on the other hand, am far more refined and discerning - I'll drink anything except bourbon.

Blue Legend

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 13, 2009, 07:02:20 PM
Quote from: Blue Legend on July 13, 2009, 06:50:24 PM

Yeah, me too

You're a Kiwi; you'll drink anything.  I, on the other hand, am far more refined and discerning - I'll drink anything except bourbon.
Yep, thats why we are the biggest drinkers in the world ;D

OU812

That I do.   But I think the Roast needs a shot every now and then.  :D

3rensho

I would caution against spraying bourbon or other high proof spirits within the smoker or placing a bowl of same in the smoker.  The 95% azeotrope forms readily and burns just fine and in a closed environment could conceivably be an explosion hazard.  Just my $0.02
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Ka Honu

Good point - there goes the bowl idea.  Shouldn't be a problem if I spray the roast (in the kitchen) while prepping, so I guess that looks like the way it's going to be.

OU812

I agree dont get close to any heat source with the mist.

I mist it on the counter while it is resting b4 the smoke and then after the smoke I pull it out and mist it again then wrap in foil and finish cooking.

Smokin Soon

Just for fun, next time I fire up my dehydrator for anything I will soak a couple and see what happens.

Ka Honu

So here's the plan for a smoked standing rib roast (probably for next week)...

• Rub beef with olive oil, cracked peppercorns, & garlic, then spray with some bourbon
  • Smoke for about an hour with either alder, cherry, maple, or mesquite (That's what I have on hand)
  • Continue low & slow w/o smoke (in OBS or 200o oven) till IT hits 110o
  • Put in preheated, turned-off 400o oven to "crisp" (about 15 min, IT 125o)
  • Rest under foil for about 20 minutes (IT 135o)

Any alterations, suggestions, recommendations, or other ideas?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 14, 2009, 01:38:37 PM
So here's the plan for a smoked standing rib roast (probably for next week)...

• Rub beef with olive oil, cracked peppercorns, & garlic, then spray with some bourbon
  • Smoke for about an hour with either alder, cherry, maple, or mesquite (That's what I have on hand)
  • Continue low & slow w/o smoke (in OBS or 200o oven) till IT hits 110o
  • Put in preheated, turned-off 400o oven to "crisp" (about 15 min, IT 125o)
  • Rest under foil for about 20 minutes (IT 135o)

Any alterations, suggestions, recommendations, or other ideas?

You missed the part about sending us all samples for "evaluation"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!