• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Game plan advice needed :)

Started by dingo44, July 17, 2009, 07:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo44

Hi folks!

Firing up my new 6-racker for the first time this weekend.
No doubt I am probably too ambitious with the meal plan for the first shot, but I am doing this at an outdoor musicfest so no stove is available.

The menu:
10 lb turducken
2 x pork back ribs
3 x 2lb Sirloin tip roasts
Sausages (hot italian and honey/garlic)

I figure to mostly cook around 225 applying hickory to the turducken/ribs/roasts for maybe 2-3 hours.
I suspect/calculate total time for the turducken at about 8 hours, ribs 5 hours, roasts 6 hours.

So my questions:
- times fairly accurate from your estimation?
- would you start them all at the same time (makes sense for smoke) and FTC as they are ready?
- how long can I expect the Bradley to take to warm up to 225?

I really wish I had time to just do some ribs to get used to the unit (had a Weber SM) but alas, sink or swim! :)
Thanks for any advice and constructive criticisms LOL in advance!

Can't wait for saturday!

FLBentRider

Quote from: dingo44 on July 17, 2009, 07:23:47 AM
Hi folks!

Firing up my new 6-racker for the first time this weekend.
No doubt I am probably too ambitious with the meal plan for the first shot, but I am doing this at an outdoor musicfest so no stove is available.

The menu:
10 lb turducken
2 x pork back ribs
3 x 2lb Sirloin tip roasts
Sausages (hot italian and honey/garlic)

I figure to mostly cook around 225 applying hickory to the turducken/ribs/roasts for maybe 2-3 hours.
I suspect/calculate total time for the turducken at about 8 hours, ribs 5 hours, roasts 6 hours.

So my questions:
- times fairly accurate from your estimation?
- would you start them all at the same time (makes sense for smoke) and FTC as they are ready?
- how long can I expect the Bradley to take to warm up to 225?

I really wish I had time to just do some ribs to get used to the unit (had a Weber SM) but alas, sink or swim! :)
Thanks for any advice and constructive criticisms LOL in advance!

Can't wait for saturday!

That is quite a load for a maiden voyage!

Make sure you season the smoker first.

Times seem about right, but time is a big variable when smoking.

Don't stress about the box coming back up to temp after you put that load in it, it will take a while.

Keep the vent at least 1/2 open.

If the turducken is frozen, make sure it is fully thawed before you start.

I would pre-heat the Bradley to 250 and turn on the smoke generator (no pucks) at least 30 minutes before adding the meat. Add the food, the pucks and turn the heat to 225.

No peeking at least the first hour or two.

Ribs - you might want to foil wrap those after the smoke is done, to help keep them moist.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dingo44

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 17, 2009, 08:02:45 AM

That is quite a load for a maiden voyage!

Make sure you season the smoker first.

Times seem about right, but time is a big variable when smoking.

Don't stress about the box coming back up to temp after you put that load in it, it will take a while.

Keep the vent at least 1/2 open.

If the turducken is frozen, make sure it is fully thawed before you start.

I would pre-heat the Bradley to 250 and turn on the smoke generator (no pucks) at least 30 minutes before adding the meat. Add the food, the pucks and turn the heat to 225.

No peeking at least the first hour or two.

Ribs - you might want to foil wrap those after the smoke is done, to help keep them moist.

Thanks for the advice FLBR!
Followups:
- uhmmm....season the smoker?  ???
- ok understand the preheat instructions, and thanks, forgot about the 25 degree bump to heat, but I was just curious if you can estimate how long it should take for the smoker to get to 250 after turning it on? Just so I can adjust my start time accordingly.
- Ribs - ya, I'm gonna do the old 3 hr smoke, 2 hr foil/AJ, 1 hr sauce routine :)
- Forgot to ask about sausages. How long do you expect those to cook? They are your basic supermarket italian sausage for grilling. I'm not gonna bother smoking these, just cooking after the others have smoked.

thanks again!

justpete

dingo44

Thanks for the link Pete...guess I'm getting up earlier than expected saturday :)

FLBentRider

Sorry about forgetting the seasoning instructions. Visions of TurDuckHen clouding my head.  ::)

With the smoker empty, it should not take more than 15-20 minutes to get there. I give mine 30 minutes. The target temp is really not that critical, you want to make sure that the box itself is hot, so it does not need heating up along with the meat.

The sausages... I have not done them, but I can't see more than an hour or so, I would check the internal temp... I think 165F is good for them, I would have to look it up to be sure.

The seasoning is to burn off the oils and stuff used in manufacturing. Don't skip this step. Or do it at home the day before.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Just to add to the confusion, I noticed you're doing this at an outdoor music fest.  If you can, protect your smoker from the wind as much as possible.  Wind can have a direct bearing on your temp recovery and stability.  Also, make sure you keep that vent open at least halfway, maybe more.  The turducken will have lots of moisture in it.  You want that moisture to be able to escape as quickly as possible as that can knock your temp down and also condensate in the box and drip on your food.  Very bad tasting black stuff on your food is not a good thing!

Let us know how it goes and make pics!

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Also, a lot depends on how long it takes for the smoker to get at the temperature you are planning to smoke/cook at. With that large load, your times may be extended.

I smoke/cooked a 15 pound Tur-Duc-Hen, and it took 7 hours to get the stuffing to 165°F, and I had a second heating element going, and nothing else in the smoker. I would plan on smoking/cooking the ribs and roast ahead of time, them wrap them in foil, and throw them in the smoker about 2 - 3 hours prior to the estimated time the Tur-Duc-Hen should be done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)