First time doing ribs, suggestions

Started by goblism, August 13, 2009, 08:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblism

Alright, going to try and make some ribs in the obs for the first time, plan on following 10.5 instructions for them, but wondering what i should use for a rub and sauce

also approximately how long should i expect them to cook for, i will be picking up the meat tomorrow, don't know what size i am getting yet though.

FLBentRider

The rub I use is in this recipe http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=980#post980

as far as sauce, you could use any commercial one you like, but I would stay away from sauces that have their own smoke flavor. It tends to conflict with the real thing.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

If you are using 10.5 technique, you are good to go. You can go to the recipe site and find some rubs by clicking on the bottom of my post. Make sure and post some pics. Not too many of them being posted and we sure do like'em. :D  ;D
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Rub's and sauces are a personal choice. Start trying different ones and find what you like. Follow the tutorial from 10.5 and allow some extra time. All ribs are different on time and you can FTC if done early.
HawkeyeSmokes

goblism

bought 8lbs of spare ribs tonight, they came frozen so i am thawing them in the sink, plan on using the dry rub suggested and following 10.5 method.

Still have a few questions

when i apply the foil while in the smoker do i add just a small amount of apple juice (couple tablespoons) or a lot like a 1/4-1/2 cup?

Same thing when FTC, how much should applejuice should i add.  I have 2 racks right now thawing, plan on cutting each rack in half, so that leaves me with 4 sets of racks, so i will probably ftc 3 of them in one package, and 1 by itself (giving some to the grandparents to eat)

Also how far with 8lbs of racks go..like how many mouths will it feed.

Thinking I will be doing 3 hours of smoke, 2 special blend (left over from seasoning...not going to fully sacrifice these), 4 hickory, and 3 pecan.

HawkeyeSmokes

A couple Tsp of AJ should work. I don't measure and just add a splash to each rack. Don't add more when I FTC them. Just holding and not cooking at that point so drying out should not be a problem.

I would guess 8 lbs would feed 3 hungry people but it's  only a guess. Any idea how big an appetite they have?
HawkeyeSmokes

goblism

well i made up the 8lbs today along with some ABTs for the first time...Wish i would have made more ABTs because they are great.  Stopped at my grandparents and gave some to them to try, my grandma even liked them and she doesn't like spicy food.

The ribs turned out pretty good, kind of know what i need to adjust for the next time i make them, put a little too much rub on them as the edges had too much flavor.

Definately need to try some apple wood though.

Sorry no pics, but have about 1/2 a rack leftover.

Also didn't heat the obs hot enough at first, we were getting anxious so we put in the ribs at about 180, should have waited because it took a couple hours for it to get up to heat, finished them in the oven and waited until the meat pulled away from the ends

FLBentRider

That's the beauty of this.

It turns out good, you adjust a few things, try again...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Too late, (I don't get on the forum much on the weekend), but spares usually take 6 or more hours.  Commonly 3-2-1 at 225 deg.  3 hours of smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil with some kind of juice (I don't care for apple juice so I use many others - use your imagination) and then 1 hour unwrapped and back on the smoker to firm up the outside.  During the last hour can sauce/glaze in the last 15 or 20 minutes.  There are times spares take longer than 6 hours for me, so it is a good idea to know the doneness cues of meat shrinking off the end of the bones, twisting a bone, bending test, or just pull apart to see.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Like FLB said

Even our mistakes taste good, not what we expected but good

Take notes and try to do better next time