another first timer rib thread

Started by buttburner, August 15, 2009, 03:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttburner

well I just revealed them from the foil for the final lick with bbq sauce

I am not a man of few words but all I can say at this point is....

OHHHH

YEAAAA

pics coming for this....

buttburner

it was the worst freaking ribs I have ever knawed on   :P

they were great man...

my pooch would of rather had smoked squirrel

LOL

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: buttburner on August 15, 2009, 12:06:52 PM
well heck $14.99 aint bad

maybe I will get one and do the mod just incase for winter useage.

Things are still looking fine, they are foiled now and I am about at 225f. As soon as I folied them the temp jumped up which should be expected...

If you have a PID then you are good to go. I would caution about doing this without a PID or Raptor Guru to control the cabinet temperature. The cabinet temperature get extremely hot in no time.

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on August 15, 2009, 12:14:29 PM
Does that new element burn hotter than the original one. -------How bout some pics.  ;D

I don't have an infrared thermometer, when I converted mine I replace my old glass element, when I installed the second one. Both were new, and the second element (the one added on) looks like it burns hotter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

buttburner

well I subscribe to the KISS theory

If I don't need it then I don't want it

I am just curious if the unit will be able to attain temps at about 30f or so ambient (winter temps) if so then that's great!!!

Caneyscud

Butt, good looking ribs there.  Congrats, - not much in life better than gnawing on some good smoked ribs!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: buttburner on August 15, 2009, 04:31:00 PM
well I subscribe to the KISS theory

If I don't need it then I don't want it

I am just curious if the unit will be able to attain temps at about 30f or so ambient (winter temps) if so then that's great!!!

Then it is best to not add the extra element and just keep it simple, or you are looking at a potential fire hazard.

I have smoked in the temperature range of mid-20's, it takes longer to get up to temperature, but once there it hold it with not problem. There are many Alaskans and Canadians that using their smoker during the winter months.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

buttburner

thats good. I see you are in upstate NY. If it works for you in the winter then Im sure it will be fine the way it is for my location...

I can put it in the garage to keep it out of the wind so that will help also.