Beef Ribs - The bing ones

Started by JF7FSU, July 22, 2009, 07:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Hi All,  I searched this site and the recipe site and see very little information on smoking the big dinosaur bone beef ribs?  Does anyone have some ideas or guidelines for me?  Everything I see is for pork.  Thanks!
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Gizmo

When I have done them, I follow the same routine as I do for pork ribs.  Time will be different but the process is pretty much the same.  Do a search on Dinasaur Bones and you will find a few threads.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

You can fully smoke/cook them in the smoker, by following the advice that Gizmo provided. I have done them a few times; good beef ribs are hard to find in my area. I get the best results starting in a 225°F smoker, and applying smoker for 1:40 - 2:00 hours. Then move them to an oven and finish by braising. I use a oven temperature of 325°F, for an hour, then check on them every 15 - 20 minutes (I don't like the meat falling off the bone).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cazg

Just did this last weekend after seeing them on FoodNetwork.Tips:

First. Finding the cut of meat: They are not on the charts but very common. Go to a butcher that actually cuts meat. Ask for Short Ribs, uncut in the package (irony here). In the cryopack there are 2 racks, three ribs each. About 2.29 per pound. Yes these are what short ribs are cut from.

Second. Prep: When you open the pack you'll see that the meat looks thin. This is deceptive, the meat will pull away from the edges and plump to the expected Fred Flintstone girth. DO NOT remove the back membrane, in the end it will be the only thing keeping the meat on the bone.

Finally. This is a tough piece of meat, treat it like brisket. The collagen should break down at about 190 degrees (internal). I removed the meat from the bones after impressing my guests (with the look) then sliced it across the bias for serving.

This is not a recipe, just a few tips.