First ribs/turkey breast/onions

Started by jholman76, August 18, 2009, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jholman76

So, I had a busy Saturday. I prepared 2 racks of ribs, a turkey breast, and some onions for the smoker. I used my standby rub of equal portions of Salt/Pepper/Brown Sugar/Paprika and let the meats rest over night in the fridge wrapped in plastic. I pulled the skin up partially on the turkey so I could coat the meat with rub as well.

I smoked for 3 hours using apple and some beer in the water bowl to add a little more flavor.

After the smoke:

After the smoking, I boated the ribs with some apple juice and tented the turkey in a foil pan with some apple juice and put them into a 275* oven for an hour. By this time the turkey was done:

I let that rest and decided to sample it. Wow, that was delicious for the eyes and tongue:

I then tool the ribs out of the boats and sauced them and put them back into the oven for 30 minutes on a cookie sheet. I moved inside because it started raining and it was getting colder. I just used Cookie's BBQ sauce because I didn't want to overwhelm the meat/smoke flavor with a strong sauce. It was a good idea in the end.

This plate/Corona says it was worth the work:

The Turkey turned out great, but a tad on the salty side. I think I will back off on the salt in the rub next time for both meats. We ate ribs for the next 2 days and never got sick of them. They were great.

The onions are in the freezer waiting for a cold day to make soup with.

I always know its good cooking when the wife doesn't need to use any sauce with the meat!

Thanks for everyone's help, whether you know you helped or not. I've been reading a lot on this board and finally got around to making some ribs. Next will probably have to be more turkey and perhaps some salmon for the old man.

Joe
-Joe

squirtthecat

Those onions are going to explode with the flavor of pork/turkey goodness when you take them out!   Looks great, all of it...

jholman76

I hope they have some rib flavor. they were right underneath the ribs and on top of the turkey.
-Joe

mikecorn.1

Good looking spread. The last pic says it all.  ;)
Mike

jholman76

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on August 18, 2009, 12:12:57 PM
Good looking spread. The last pic says it all.  ;)

thanks  ;)

Next to the ones I had in Mexico last year, this was the next best tasting one I've ever had....

joe
-Joe

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Look's great Joe, onion soup does sound pretty good with rib drippen's added in there.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Thats some nice looking grub you made Joe

The best of boath worlds Ribs and Turkey

I bet the onions will be bursting with all kinds of flavor

jholman76

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun to make and eat.

Bradley sure has the smoking equation down for ease of use.

The Turkey breast was actually a friend of mine's. She offered help pay for a pack of apple bisquettes if I would smoke some meat for her every now and then. Good trade, I feel.

She was extremely happy with the result. She even gave me some sweet corn to thank me more.

joe
-Joe

rdevous

Joe,

Awesome chow!!!  I think the last picture is one of the saddest pictures I've seen in years!!!   ;D ;D ;D

I was wondering...has anyone EVER seen someone drink a Corona WITHOUT putting a lime wedge in it???  ??? ??? ???  People don't put a wedge in their Buds or Coors!!!  ;D :P ;) :)

Bet the onions make an awesome French Onion soup!!!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!