• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I need pictures.

Started by Oldman, February 20, 2005, 07:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...the download is quick but the upload is half as fast.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't know what speeds you are talking about but the up is always much slower. If you want a fast up you really have to pay.  I normally don't get into personal examples in the area of monies, but here the regular cable downs @5 megs, and ups @ 356KB. (There is a war here between out local DSL and Cable company, and is why we get a true 5 megs down. Plus there is a second Cable company here that just got bought out.)  I down @ 5 megs, but my up is 750-900KB and I pay over 4 times the cost of a regular cable for my connection. I use to pay over 5 times the normal amount for those numbers. I got a break when my cable company came out with a business class for home offices. [:D] Besides my company pays for it! [^][^][^] When you consider the cost of a T1 and it only ups at 1500KB is about $1,600.00 plus plus per month I got a deal!

If nsxbill read this he going to bust my chops as I have joked with him about the cost of some of his toys.

Hopefully in the not to far off distant you will again be able to enjoy broadband. Until then to live where you live is worth the wait!
Old

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

AKBob

Olds
I would like to summit some pictures of my sausage and fish but I guess I'll need to get a digital camera.
What would reccomend for a basic allaround camera.

AKBob

Kummok

AKBob:
I'm certain that Olds will have great recommendation. I don't know what technology is out there nor the names for all the camera "stuff". What I DO know, based upon my meager 3 years of shooting digital is:

Cost: Spend the most you can afford to get the most camera available
Digital Zoom v. Optical Zoom: Ignore digital and count on optical...better resolution
MegaPixels: More is usually better, but no guarantee
Speed: VERY, VERY, VERY important for any action shots of birds, animals, whales, people, etc. I've missed some pretty spectacular shots waiting for the "shutter" to click.
Body/Case: Protect your investment with metal body and keep in case ALWAYS when not use or in your pocket.
Size: I prefer pocket sized cameras....always handy for that HUGE King salmon leaping, whale breeching, bear running in front of the fourwheeler shot.
Accessories: Extra battery, 12v charger cord, extra memory card(s)

Set size and resolution to MAXIMUM....that way, if you get that one-in-a-million shot, it will look better enlarged. Just remember to carry extra cards and/or download regularly

Make certain that the camera software will allow you to convert large files to small "emailable" sizes EASILY!

ALL the photos I've posted to the forum were taken with a Canon Powershot S330, purchased in Spring 2002 in the $1000 range with all the accessories. It's been a great camera for "still" shots, but I'm selling it and replacing it with a considerably more expensive higher speed camera because I'm tired of missing the great action shots.

Hopefully Chez Bubba will also weigh in on this one because he has a newer camera that took absolutely BEAUTIFUL high quality photos here last summer!!

Hope this helps....[:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Oldman

AKBob,

Rather than give you my opinion here is a goog link to a site the does pretty good reviews.  Camera Reviews Each person has a different need or idea of what they want to do with a camera. This is one of the reason I will only be able tell you a little about my camera, but to advise you I cannot do.

I have the Canon EOS 300D. Cost about $1000.00 w/ one lens. However, you have to purchase a simm card for it. I got a 512 Meg simm card with a transfer of 6 megs per second. (Around $230.00) Now most average shooters will not need that much card. But I shoot in RAW format when it is work related and each of those shots is around 9 megs. At the time I got my Canon I would say it was just a step below what a professional would be  using. It is an SLR camera--you can change out lens. If you go the route of an SLR the camera is not the real cost. It is the lens if you get into it.

One of the selling points to me was this camera uses the new style "digital lens" and you can use any of the older 35mm cannon lens~~!
Olds

Here is an image of it:

You can get a good idea of what this camera can do at the Cannon learning center. The 300 is called the Rebel it will be on the bottom left of the screen.. Just click on the option then click on lessons.
Cannon 300 ESO Rebel

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Hi AKBob,

I take hi-res pix for a living from all sorts of fancy microscopes, and we have ridiculously expensive cameras for that purpose ($3,000+). They have a bazillion megapixels and high-quality optics to boot, but they are not intuitive to use

For my own personal use--and that of my family--we have had great luck with Kodak EasyShare cameras.  The cameras are good all-around performers, well-priced, and the software that comes with them is unmatched for a newbie to the digi cam world (that categorizes most of my family)!  If you go with a Kodak, the digital zoom numbers are just hype, but the optical zoom is important (3X is a minimum) as Kummock said.  Within the Kodak family, there are two lens qualities:  Retinar lenses and Schneider-Kreuznach lenses.  The S-K lenses are significantly better and you are better off sacrificing 1-2 megapixels  to get the S-K if price is the issue.  

Kummock also mentions size, which is an important issue for some folks.  Olympus has traditionally been the leader in this area, but Kodak has a new entrant for about $300 (the LS753) that is &lt;6 oz., pocket-size, has the S-K lens with 5 MP resolution, and lots of cool eatures.  If size is not a factor, consider the Kodak DX series--a 4 or 5 MP camera with the S-K lens and plenty of great features will be in the $250 range.  

It's hard to go wrong if you stick with a name brand (Kodak, Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Olympus).  The Kodak appeals to the newbie, but some of the others may offer better optics or resolution for a relatively small trade-off in ease of use. If you're truly digitally-challenged, the Kodak is a great choice.  If not, the world of digi cams is your oyster!  I would recommend going to a store that sells several brands and trying them out for yourself.  Implicit in what I am saying is that going for an "off-brand" is a real risk . . . HTH   [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

AKBob

Thanks for all the information guys.
I will need to do a little home work here.

Olds, I have several Cannon lens for the AE-1 camera, will they work with the 300 EOS Rebel?

Smoking beef ribs this afternoon for something different, have some homemade beans cooking in the crock pot and will also be making potatoe salad.
34 degs here, perfect day for smoking.

AKBob

Habanero Smoker

Olds,
I have the same camera, and love it. It almost makes me feel like I shooting with my old 35mm SLR. Do you get PC World? The March edition is a hacker's edition. There are several hacks including how to overclock your PC to upgrading your Rebel. According to one article you can turn the EOS 300(Rebel) into a 10D, well almost. The hacked firmware gives the Rebel many of the features of the 10D.

I've downloaded the hacked firmware, and also downloaded Canon's firmware, incase something goes wrong. I haven't hacked the camera yet. I'm planning on doing it this weekend. I'll send you an e-mail with links to the hacker's site, and Canon's firmware site (which was very difficult to locate).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

AKBob
I would just take one of my lens down to a camera store and see if it will work.  On the Rebel there are two dots. One Red--One White. The Red is where the older style 35mm lens go in. The White is for the newer style locking.

Now I will let you in on a secert. I don' shoot for a hobby. I shoot for business reasons. I have the 2-lens I need for that. The light kit I need. I know how to get the pictures I want. Other than that this camera has bells and stuff  that I will never use.

Now I know my wife uses it for her hobby. I know as soon as we are finished with the house, she is looking at more lens. She is really into this and that is the reason I purchased for her that Cannon iP8500 printer. Another reason I purchased this camera is she was talking about a colored darkroom~~! I looked at the cost of creating one of those and getting her to move into the digital world made a lot of $$$ cents!

I would think that Habanero Smoker is the person you might consider asking advice from.

<hr noshade size="1">
Habanero Smoker I got your E-mail with links. As I said in my reply I have just so many iron in the fire at the moment. When I this house over with I will look more into that information. And by that time if you hit any bumbs in the road you will be able to advise me.

Oh ya, as if I don't have enough to do, a few days back my wife decided she wanted to change out 9 doors. Yesterday they got put up. I was going to paint them.... NO No no... she says. I want you to finish them off like you do the furniture... I'm asking myself just were is this extra time going to come from~~! Generally with staining and the finish I put 9 coats on something...and a nice wet 300-600 grit sanding in between each of them. Phew--LOL!
Olds

Habanero Smoker

Sorry I keep editing this - Just can't get my thoughts together. Must be the moon.

AKBob,
For some reason I did not see your post when I responded to Olds.

Being a Pentax fan[V] prior to swithing to Canon, I am not familiar with the Canon A or T series, just the EOS series. I believe that all Canons camera bodies have the same lens mounts. As Olds stated check it out with at a camera store.

I do know if your lenses will fit the EOS series, you will not have access to all the automatic features in the Rebel (ie auto-focus, auto-exposure, auto-zoom), but you can easily override this manually. I know this because my brother-in law has the Rebel GH SLR (35mm format) and I use his lenses at times and I have to adjust the focus, zoom and the exposure manually, which is not a problem.

If you like SLR camera's, you can't go wrong with the Rebel digital camera. Like Old's also stated, there are so many bells and whistles on this camera, I'm not sure if I will ever get to use all of them, but it is nice to know they are there if you need them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)