Bacon wraped deer loin

Started by OU812, September 08, 2009, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Quote from: BigJohnT on September 10, 2009, 10:44:58 AM
Quote from: smokeitall on September 08, 2009, 07:32:44 PM
That looks great Curt. 
My wife won't eat venison either.  Doesn't bother me a bit, just more for me and kids.
SIA

I must have got lucky with wife's deer last year. No gamely taste at all. She cooked some for Coco and I grabbed one and it was good. Now if I can remember what I did  ???

John

A good clean kill and quick cool down of the body cavity always works for me.   
Cant remember the last one that tasted gamey.
Drop them in there tracks, one shot one kill

Caribou

Quote from: OU812 on September 10, 2009, 12:27:46 PM
Quote from: BigJohnT on September 10, 2009, 10:44:58 AM
Quote from: smokeitall on September 08, 2009, 07:32:44 PM
That looks great Curt. 
My wife won't eat venison either.  Doesn't bother me a bit, just more for me and kids.
SIA

I must have got lucky with wife's deer last year. No gamely taste at all. She cooked some for Coco and I grabbed one and it was good. Now if I can remember what I did  ???

John

A good clean kill and quick cool down of the body cavity always works for me.   
Cant remember the last one that tasted gamey.
Drop them in there tracks, one shot one kill
I believe you're right on with the quick cool down OU812 preventing gamey taste.
I had a mobile slaughter/meat processor guy slaughter a grain-finished Angus steer one evening at the end of his work day.
Into a cube van loaded with warm carcasses my steer went.  That steer was the most gamey meat I've ever tasted :P
Probably partially rotted but we were new to this and figured we must have done something wrong somehow in the finishing process.
Needless to say I switched to a processor that comes here with an empty truck and goes directly back to his shop.
And I have animals slaughtered the first week of January also.  Cool weather. Awesome beef!
Carolyn

BigJohnT

OU812,

They were both clean kills she dropped hers like a sack of taters at about 100 yards from a tree stand and shot over the back of a hamburger on the hoof.  I shot mine through the neck and spine with a 50 cal so it dropped where it stood. I did keep them in coolers with ice on them after cutting the meat from the carcass for a few days and drained and flushed the coolers twice a day.

John

OU812

Big John

Sounds like you both are one heck of a good shot

I have a Knight extream 50 cal and dropped a nice buck at 187 yd last year

It must have ben warm when you got your deer, having to bone the deer and put in coolers with ice in it. Its pretty dam cold here when its deer season. Well for high power and black powder anyway. I try to keep the hide on and hang it in my shed for a couple days to let it bleed out.

The deer around here are corn and soy bean fed. My uncle lives on the far west end of the state and the deer feed on sage brush and prairie grass and taste a little gamey to me.

BigJohnT

It's usually cool enough to let them hang overnight but it only takes my other brother John a few minutes to unzip and pull off the hide and have it quartered up post haste  ;D

John

smokeitall

Quote from: BigJohnT on September 12, 2009, 02:03:00 PM
It's usually cool enough to let them hang overnight but it only takes my other brother John a few minutes to unzip and pull off the hide and have it quartered up post haste  ;D

John

Seen him do it, he is quick.  Man I hope we get that managed hunt this year, we should know here in a few days.
SIA

BigJohnT

You don't leave the cooler it is just like a hand off every few seconds and they don't stop coming until nothing is left.

Mingo would be cool to get picked for for sure. BTW, the fan works nice now.

John