Pork Shoulder HELP/ADVICE Wanted

Started by BamaBrian, September 08, 2009, 07:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamaBrian

I smoked two boneless (all my store had) pork shoulders, one 5lbs, the other 7lbs.  Over night, five hours of smoke, kept temp between 190 and 220 I believe, let them go for ~12 hours.  Took them out and FTC-ed them. When it came time to pull, I had to forcefully tear the meat apart.  Flavor was good, but a big disappointment, as I was expecting them to literally fall apart.

Where did I screw up?

KyNola

Hey Brian,
One of 2 things or maybe both.  Either you didn't cook them long enough until the internal temp got to 185-200 or you just found a tough pig.  My guess is it was the internal temp of the meat.  I did two pork butts over the weekend, took 18 hours to get to 185.  I have had them take 24 hours.

Did you have something to check the IT of the meat?

KyNola  

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum BamaBrian!

Did you check the internal temperature of the meat ?

It sounds like you may have needed to cook it longer. I have done them where they take 14 to 18 hours.

I cook for an IT (internal temperature) of at least 195-200F - and stick the probe in multiple places, a fat pocket will read ~10 degrees higher.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BamaBrian

Very Interesting!

Thank you both for the replies.  I did check the IT, but only went to 180 (on purpose, my own inexperience).

Should I leave the meat alone for that long, or do you recommend covering with foil at some point?

squirtthecat

After the 4 hours of smoke, I put mine in a pan and cover tight w/ foil.  Keep the temperature probe in and let it go until at least 190 degrees IT..     I've had one take 22 hours, and one that finished in the middle of the night - it just depends.

FLBentRider

Same here

4 hours of smoke.

foil wrap - continue in Bradley or house oven until an IT of 190-200F

FTC at least one hour.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Just as stated above by other members. You have to cook by IT and not time. I like to take mine to 190* and then FTC for a few hours. An ant could of literaly pull the bone out of my butt.  ;D I smoke mine for 4 hours then boat with a splash of apple juice and put in the oven. An 8.5lb butt took me 18 to 19 hours to reach the 190* IT. Good luck and happy smoking.
Mike

Hopefull Romantic

That is all what smoking is all about; trial and error and good advice from good folks.

Welcome Brian.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

I am with the others on the IT I take mine to 190 F

I dont boat or foil, after the 4 hr smoke (I like Pecan) I put a foil roasting pan (with one can of your favorite beer) just big enough to catch all the drippings on the rack under the butt (save those drippings) and when the butt gets to the set IT pull out of the smoker, mist with some AJ and let rest a bit and pull

When you pull your butt out of the smoker take the pan of drippings and put in the fridge till the fat becomes solid then spoon off and discard the fat, after pulling the butt add the drippings back in.

Caneyscud

Proper IT is the key to pulling.  Culprit was not a long enough cook.  190 to 220 is a bit low for 12 hours on a 7 pound butt.  You might have made it, if the Cabinet Temp was closer to 225.  Foil, if you want.  When you do, you are literally steaming or moist roasting the meat.  That is what a crock pot does and can make it easier to get fall apart tender.  However it can arguably come at a price - a loss of smokiness, flavor and crispy bark.  Although, I am sure there are some, I know of no BBQ joint that foils or boats their meats.  I know of some diner type places and restaurants that do though.   Is there a difference in the BBQ - you bet there is!  But which is better?  THAT is up to your taste buds!  Some say when you foil, it is not proper BBQ - if may not be, but who cares if you are happy with the result.  Frying chicken is not BBQ either, but I love fried chicken. 

BTW, I really like OU812's idea of collecting the juices and have been doing that for a while now where I can - in my Bradley and in my vertical offsets. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"