• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Converting DBS for winter use.

Started by RAF128, October 30, 2009, 01:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Since I live in Saskatchewan and the weather does get a bit cold  :D in the winter, smoking is usually out of the question.   I been thinking of making something that would allow me to use the smoker in my garage which happens to be heated.   At first I thought about opening the window and placing a fan in front of it to suck the smoke out.   Tried that :-\ and not too effective.   Now I'm thinking I could buy a fan similar to the vent fans used in bathrooms, connecting with a vent hose to the top of the smoker and fashioning a board to block the window and venting it out side.   Any thoughts?

mikeradio

Hey RAF128

Heres a link to my setup

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11554.msg127689#msg127689

It is working every well, I have raised the pipe up off the top of the smoker so it draws some air from the room and not all from the smoker.  The fan inline keeps the moisture moving and out of the pipe.

Mike

aces-n-eights

I picked up a "scratch and dent" range hood and vented it to the outside.  Here's a pic of my setup in my garage.  It works pretty good - it does not remove 100% of the smoke, but i don't mind the smell in the garage for a day or so.   ;D

US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

KevinG

All you really have to do is drape some curtains around it, and it should pull the smoke out for you. Should be a relatively cheap and easy fix.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Mr Walleye

RAF

I am also from Saskatchewan... Moose Jaw. Where in SK are you located?

I have mine built into my heated garage as well and if you are ever in my neck of the woods you are more than welcome to stop by and have a look to give you some ideas. Here's a link...

This was my original setup....
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6075.0

This is my current setup....

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

squirtthecat

Man, that is so cool..  What does the fitting look like where your vent pipes come together below the range hood?

ArnieM

Quote from: aces-n-eights on October 30, 2009, 02:44:12 PM
I picked up a "scratch and dent" range hood and vented it to the outside.  Here's a pic of my setup in my garage.  It works pretty good - it does not remove 100% of the smoke, but i don't mind the smell in the garage for a day or so.   ;D

Your garage looks better than my kitchen.  >:( >:( >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 31, 2009, 09:19:48 AM

Man, that is so cool..  What does the fitting look like where your vent pipes come together below the range hood?

Thanks Squirt.

The vent pipe I used was just 4" ABS style pipe. I used a "Y" directly under the Range hood and a "45" on top of each smoker. I trimmed them to fit. I also cut notches in the pipe on top of the smokers so they would not suck all the heat out of the smoker. Here is a close up photo of my original vent and you can see the notches...

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

RAF128

I gave it a try today.    Bought a piece of plywood and cut it to the size of the window.    Cut a 5 inch hole near top and fastened on a fitting .   The 4 inch vent hose fastened to that.    Used 2nd fitting like the 1st and attached that to the top of the Bradley.   Fired it up and no smoke in garage.    Looks like it will work.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 31, 2009, 11:11:52 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on October 31, 2009, 09:19:48 AM

Thanks Squirt.

The vent pipe I used was just 4" ABS style pipe. I used a "Y" directly under the Range hood and a "45" on top of each smoker. I trimmed them to fit. I also cut notches in the pipe on top of the smokers so they would not suck all the heat out of the smoker. Here is a close up photo of my original vent and you can see the notches...

Mike

Thanks for the closeup!  I need to do something similar before Winter.

aces-n-eights

US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

RAF128

Here's a picture of what I came up with.    Seems to be working as I just put in an elk roast.   

I thought I'd also post a picture of a smoker I built.    I use this one for big loads of sausge.   Did 80 lbs of moose sausage a couple of weeks ago.   For a heat source I use the propane heater for a turkey cooker and put a cast iron pan on it to hold the wood chips.    Temp control is a test though.   Weather and wind are an issue.  Have to keep adjusting the flame control.

Quarlow

That one brings back old memories. When I was a kid, dad built one 3'x3'x12' just like yours. We heated it with a hot plate with a frying pan for the homemade wood shavings. We took alder logs and cut them into thin discs and then burnt the discs and the shavings. If I was to do that again, I would put 2 Bradley SG's on it and heat with a small oven element.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.