• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Started some Jerky today

Started by smokeitall, December 06, 2009, 06:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I'm pretty sure that is more than one rack of jerky.  The photo is deceiving.

KyNola

BigJohnT

Quote from: KevinG on December 09, 2009, 11:01:36 AM
Wow, that's a lot of jerky on one rack. Did you have a hard time getting that to dry? You're dog obviously has good taste. :D

The jerky is in a glass dish sitting on top of a pile of racks  ;D

It was pretty good too. I agree cut the brown sugar in half and it will be a winner.

John

KevinG

That's good to know, you had me re-thinking my whole jerky making procedure. Just pile it on and go.  :)
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

smokeitall

Here is the recipe I used.  The taste was best at 3-4 days after drying.  I was trying to find something I could just do in the dehydrator.

MARINADE for 5lbs.
In a big bowl, mix together:
2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. liquid smoke (hickory)
1/3 c. worcestershire
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 T crushed red pepper
1 T black pepper
1 tsp pink cure

I soaked overnight in a one gallon glass jar.  If anyone tries it let me know what you think.  1/2 the people that tried it said to cut down the brown sugar (the recipe above is with 1/2 the brown sugar that I had in mine), the other suggestion was they wanted a little more smoky flavor so I am going to put it in the OBS for 40-60 minutes of hickory first on this next batch.
SIA

mikeradio

Hey SIA

How long did it take to dry in your 80L?  I am getting ready to try jerky in mine.

Mike

smokeitall

Hey Mike, sorry I didn't reply sooner I have been out of town a bit.  The last batch took about 6-7 hours, but I did not cut it real thick.
SIA