• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temperature Controllers

Started by clappy, March 18, 2005, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msiler

Also if you are hesitant to pay almost as much for temp control as you did for you smoker there is another option.

I use a oven control thermostat it holds temps within 3 degrees and it costs less than 100 bucks to make. It does not have quite as many features such as the ramp and hold features. I have been using mine this way for a year or so and love it.

When in doubt smoke it.

ChefBill

Great Idea msiler. [:D] Now figure out where I can get a <u><i>little fan</i></u> out of one of those little table top convection ovens and we'll be in business. Bill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now figure out where I can get a little fan out of one of those little table top convection ovens and we'll be in business. Bill<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is funny Bill, I was thinking about that yesterday. I have an old table top convection oven to boot!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I use a oven control thermostat it holds temps within 3 degrees and it costs less than 100 bucks to make.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">msiler are you saying your temp swing is a total of 6 degrees--Up to down?

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

msiler

Yeah 6 degree swing total is what I have seen. I measure at the center of the unit just below top rack. The thermostat probe is at center just below the top of unit.

Have you had the unit apart yet to see what kind of fan it uses. It sounds like an interesting idea.. Although you would have to limit tha force of circulation as to not stir up ash from smoldering bisquettes or even possible flame up of the bisquette itself.

When in doubt smoke it.

ChefBill

msiler,
I had figured all we were after is to <u><i>equalize</i></u> the temperature thru out the cabinet. By putting 4 probes in the BS cabinet and comparing the temp you could tell if the air flow needed to be lowered to a minimum.  Restricting the flow is real minor problem. Just finding a heat resistant fan to experiment with is the real problem. May have to let Raye do that. [:)] Bill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it