• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temperature Controllers

Started by clappy, March 18, 2005, 03:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clappy

I am waiting in a new Bradley Stainless Smoker to be delivered, I see posts about the BBQ Guru temp controller.  I checked their site and saw the Guru Competitor unit. I presume I would have to drill a hole into the Bradely to install this unit?  Is this unit worth it? Anyone have a picture of one installed on their Bradley Smoker?

Thanks

Dale[:)]

Habanero Smoker

For the unit you use with the BS, you do not drill a hole. To use the Guru competitor with the BS you will need to also purchase the Raptor http://www.thebbqguru.com/power_raptor.htm . If you do a search for either the Raptor or Guru, you will locate a couple of photo on how different members have set thiers up.

By your question - Is it worth it? If that is in referrence to having to drill a hole, then your question is not applicable. Is it worth it, as for the cost? You will have to make that decision, based on your needs, and life style. I have one, and glad that I have it. As others (and I agree) have posted, you can still turn out great food without the Raptor/Guru, but I tend to be on the lazy side [:D]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by clappy</i>
<br />I am waiting in a new Bradley Stainless Smoker to be delivered, I see posts about the BBQ Guru temp controller.  I checked their site and saw the Guru Competitor unit. I presume I would have to drill a hole into the Bradely to install this unit?  Is this unit worth it? Anyone have a picture of one installed on their Bradley Smoker?

Thanks

Dale[:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Arial"><font size="3"><font color="maroon">Dale-
Take a look at mine and see how I mounted the guru and raptor witout drilling holes. http://home.midsouth.rr.com/doncurrie/

Habanero Smoker is right on the mark concerning the worth of this toy.  You certainly do not have to have one to do some fantastic smoking.  The only thing the guru/raptor does is "automate" the process a little.  I like the way it maintains the temps without you having to worry about it.  Without it the BS is still pretty good at maintaining the temp after you set it.  You just have to check and adjust for a little while until you see it has stabilized and then you are set.  

The feature I like that you can't do without the guru/raptor is the ramp mode feature.  Using this mode allows you to set both the cabinet temperature and the internal meat temp so that as the meat approaches its set temp the cabinet temp is lowered until it is virtually in a "keep warm" mode.  It will not over cook the meat!  Sometimes I need to run errands while I am smoking I just set the ramp mode to "ON" and do what I have to do without worry.  On long smokes where you want to cook all night you can sleep without worrying about the temps.

Is it worth it? Not if you are on a tight budget and coming up with the bucks is going to be tough.  You can get by just as well without it. Just a little more inconvenient.  However, if the money is no problem, I say go for it!  It just makes the whole smoking experience more fun.

If you have questions or concerns, feel free to post them or email me and I will try to help you.

Don

</font id="maroon"></font id="size3"></font id="Arial">

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

nsxbill

Rob,

I tried all of your recommendations to get these magnetic bases, and ulitmately ended up getting them at Shop.Com.

Here is information if anyone else needs item number:

Item Name:            V7503  3 - 1 / 4 RD MAGNETIC BASE
Item Number:        168606
Qty:                         3
Total:                       $15.05    
------------------------------------------
From BuilderDepot.com

Shipping:             $7.10    
Sales Tax:            $1.09    
Merchant Total:  $23.24    
------------------------------------------

Gave up driving all over to get them.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

nxsbill all my hardware stores had them, you should of said something i would of sent you some. becarefull with that big magnet, if you stick it to a vise or smoething with a lot of steal, it will take off from you, but when you stick it to your bs it will be fine.

gotbbq

Sauce Bauce, SHRob-

Do you run your competitor wires (Temp probe and meat temp probe)through the bs vent or through the door gasket?  I have a guru/competitor, waiting for the raptor and procom.  Just wondering-[^][^][^]

gotbbq

nsxbill

Not Sauce, but toyed with the idea of running probe through the wall with some of the eylet grommets that are sold by Guru for through the wall application on Weber.  They wouldn't work.  

I now just run the wires through the door and don't worry about it not being pretty.  I currently have my Procom4 controller mounted on a stainless steel bracket sitting on top of the smoke generator.  I will be mounting it on the upper back like Sauce did.  Just looks cleaner.  

Still don't know how I will mount the Raptor, but I think I am just going to take it apart, attach a clean bracket and rivet it back togeter.  I am sure all the innerds of the Raptor are just a Single Stage Relay and wires and plugs.  Should be lots of room for some more rivets coming through the body...just don't want to nick any of them with a drill.

Optional run on the wires is through the top vent, but I just don't like that look for some reason.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

3rensho

Does anyone know if there are 240V versions of the raptor and guru or similar units from other manufacturers?  I'm afraid we don't have 120V here in Switzerland - just 240V single phase and 400V three phase in the houses.  I had sent the BBQGuru website this question but never got a response.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Tom

Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

3rensho,
You would be better off calling. They don't do a good job in monitoring their e-mails. They spend a lot of time on the road at various competitions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ChefBill

Now you guys have got me interested in the Raptor/Guru toy. Got a question too. I went to the bbqguru site and was checking all their products. My Question is: Is this the complete systen I would need to order for my BS..[?]

http://209.200.75.219/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=23&idproduct=90

Got and idea about putting probes thru side of BS above and behind the smoke generator. Will have to do a little "Ingerneering" on it but think I can make a very neat air tight installation. [;)] Bill

If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

ChefBill

nsxbill,
I'm going to bet you'll find a printed circuit board inside the Raptor with a SCR connected to the heat sink fins on the back. Be very careful in mounting the brackets.
I have a feeling that the unit is like a varible speed control for a electric drill and instead of a potentiometer that you turn to change speed it's controlled by the temperature probe. Have an idea it's packed full of goodies.[:0] Bill

Habanero Smoker

Thats the complete package, but I would suggest that you call them and see if you can order the Competitor Probe Assembly w/ 6 ft. Lead Wires, instead of the 4' one that comes standard with it. The extra 2' will come in handy if you use the vent to insert the meat probe and cabinet sensor in the BS, and the extra coast should not be more than $8.00.

My guess is that the Raptor has a micro-chip processor in it, and needs the heat sink to keep it from over heating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ChefBill

Habanero Smoker,
That's what I figured the heat sink was for. If it'll handle up to 1800 watts that's a pretty good load. On the BS the load would be about 1/3 it's max capacity.
I'll think about the longer probes.. So far the 3' leads on the Maverick have been plenty long.. PLUS, If I can go thru the side or door then 4' will be fine.
I'm thinking of mounting everything on the side behind the smoke generator facing foward so the BS cover will slip right over it all. Just mount an aluminum plate to the back using original screws & sticking out even with the gen; then mount everything on the front of the plate. Mount the Guru right above the Raptor so I have easy access to it. [;)]
When I get it all figured out and built, I'll post picture of it. Bill

Brother Bill

DON

THANKS FOR THE INFO & HELP! BELIEVE I WILL WAIT AND SEE!!

BROTHER BILL