Suggestions for Smoked Easter Turkey

Started by Eagleye, March 24, 2005, 10:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagleye

Hi yall,
I'm a smoking newbie. I just purchased a Bradley Stainless Steel a couple months ago.  So far I've had good results with smoking salmon.[:p]  My hot smoked White Chinook and Coho Indian Candy both turned out quite nice. I tried smoking some pork chops using the recipe in the bradley recipe book.  They came out waay too dry [xx(] eventhough I cooked them at the lowest recommended time. Next time I'll have to check them much sooner.  Anyhow, I want to smoke a turkey for Easter and I was wondering if you guys had any good recipes.  I've already read the collector recipe. It says to use a small turkey 8-10lbs but mine is 15lbs.  If I cook it at 100 C for longer will the turkey still turn out alright?  I'm worried that temp may not be high enough to kill off the samonila.  I was also thinking it may be a good idea to put the turkey in some kind of pan to catch the drippings but I don't know what kind I can use in the Bradley.  I was also thinking of maybe wrapping the turkey in a cheese cloth to lock in some moisture.  What would you guys recommend.  Thanks in advance any help is much appreciated.

Chez Bubba

Eagle,

There are several threads I remember available to address all your questions, just do a search. And welcome to the forum, we hope you'll be kind enough to share your experiences with us. You're gonna love your Bradley.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Hi Eagleye,

Welcome to the Forum!  If you do a search for turkey you will find tons of stuff on this Forum to help you out.  If you want a quick and easy solution, go to the link listed on the Sticky at the beginning of each forum topic (www.susanminor.org) and look at Bassman's turkey recipe.  A 15 lb turkey is fine, but you need to plan on much longer cooking times (not smoking times, which most of us agree should be 4 hr max).  Alternatively, smoke for 4 hr, then transfer the turkey to an oven at 350F until the bird is done (some consider that sacrilege, but most of us have done that with no harmful effects at least once in our lives!).  Most people feel that adding a pan to catch the drippings either doesn't work or iss't necessary; however, I use a pan containing apple juice and a quartered onion underneath the turkey to catch the drippings and make gravy, and it seems to work.  You'll need to experiment and see what works for you . . .

As for safety, you just need to be sure the internal temp of the meat reaches 160F (or the pop-up timer pops up).  Obviosly, cooking at 100C (212F) will be fine, but it will take a long time.  I usually turn the temp up to the max, but others keep it lower.

BTW, there is lots of great newbie info on that link that you might find helpful in other areas as well.  Let us know how you do--don't be a stranger!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jaeger

Welcome Eagleye!
The problem with the pork chops is that you have a small cut of meat with a lot of exposed surface. With so much exposed surface you will lose moisture quick. I would recommend a roast and slice after it is finished.
Plan A - Smoked turkey sounds awesome! I would personally use a brine using a brown sugar type of cure or look in your search for the turkey breast that Sauce Bauce did recently. This will make your mouth water!
You can probably fit the turkey in your Bradley. You may need to have the bird sitting at an angle. Don't let the drippings from the cavity fall on your heat source. Allow extra hours cooking time if you cook the bird whole. I would also put bacon on the top shelf to baste as it cooks.
I hope that you are planning on using a remote thermometer. You really want to keep the door closed as much as possible. Just change out your water at about 4-5 hours.

Plan B - Smoke for 3-4 hours at regular temp and finish in the oven.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Oldman

Eagleye,
Greetings and welcome! <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Obviosly, cooking at 100C (212F) will be fine, but it will take a long time.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I cannot add much other than if you are at a true 212 F it should take at least 10 hours if not longer. Plan accordingly.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

gotbbq

Welcome Eagleye-  

Enjoy the forum, lots of great info out there.

gotbbq

Eagleye

I followed Bassman's recipe and decided to go with plan B and finish it off in the oven.  The main reason being that I don't have a remote thermometer (yet). I preheated the smoker to about 220 F and I'm alternating cherry and hickory. After 4 hrs I'll finish it off at
350 F until it's done. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.  Thank you all for the advice and for making me feel so welcome to the forum.  

*Warning*  Smoking is addictive

Eagleye

The Turkey was a success!  It was moist/tender and delicious.  My parents were very impressed on how it turned out.  I thought my Dad would be the hardest to please because he isn't big on Turkey and he also doesn't like a heavy smoke flavour.  But he was the first to say how much he liked it.  I ended up smoke/cooking it for 3.5 hrs then I cooked it the rest of the way in the oven at 350 until the internal temp. was 160.

*Warning* Smoking is addictive

JJC

Glad it worked out well for you, E2!  That's the beauty of the Bradley--it's very flexible and can be adapted to almost any smoking/cooking need [:)][:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA