• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Shoulder Rules!

Started by nsxbill, March 27, 2005, 04:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

As posted previously, I started two pork shoulder bone-in roasts weighing in at 14.6 lbs. at 5 p.m. Friday night.  I had marinated in mustard/coca cola concentrated syrup with additional chile heat first in my big vacuum marinator and then for 24 hours in the refrigerator in Tupperware tub.  

The saga begins at 3 p.m. Thursday when I got home from work.  I did my marination thing, and put the roasts in the fridge.

On Friday, same time I cranked up the smoker for a pre-heat at about 4:30 after removing the roasts, and dusting with more rub and let them warm a little at kitchen temp. Into the smoker at 5.

Too big to use upper shelves, I put the biggest one, to the front on the bottom shelf, and the other one on the 3rd shelf.  One pound of fatty bacon, the moisturizer of gods on the top shelf.  I set the Procom4 Guru, ramp off, at 205°F and my set temp at 188°F for the meat.  I used the Pecan bisquettes for the first time.  4 hours later, I changed the water and rotated the roasts top to bottom.  Got up at 3 a.m. - nature called, but so did the smoker.  I rotated again.  Rotated again at 7 a.m. and Noon.  Everytime I rotated, I gave the butts a quick mop of Coke syrup mixed with my mildly sweet q sauce.

I had a meeting to attend in Sacramento, so set the smoker for 3 hours automatic shut down.  Of course, I was gone longer than I thought, so no idea what temp had been reached at that time.  Current pit temp when I got home was 167° and the meat was about 157°.  I cranked it up again, and reached 188° at exactly 9 p.m.  I usually FTC for 2 hours.  I was hungry!  I pulled the pork at 10 p.m.   Truthfuly, I was moist as was the meat.  It was superior!

The dark rich carmelized crust the beautiful tender and flavorful meat was orgasmic!  Best I have ever done.  26 hours also the longest I have smoked anything!  The Procom performed flawlessly, as usual.  The Coca Cola Syrup Glaze is recommended!  WOW is it tasty!  Usually the crust is dry and a little harsh.  Not this!  Could nibble on this stuff all night!

Picture at 9 p.m. before extraction!

The proof is in the shredding!

The Pecan is awesome, and now my new friend!  

I got up this Easter morning and made another sandwich at 7:45 a.m.  - No Doubt the new breakfast of champions!

Happy Easter!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

Bill,
The roast looks great! Sounds like your procom is working out good for you. I'm glad you posted about the type of wood that you used. I just received some pecan from Chez and haven't had a chance to really give it a full test yet. I like to use one type of a wood at a time, so I can really tell if I like it for paticular varieties of meats and cheeses.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

nsxbill

Describing Pecan...Awesome!  Wife not big on smoky flavor.  Hardly any taste...very mild.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SmokinMoe

I only use Pecan and Maple.  I have alot of other types: cherry, alder and hickery, but I have NEVER used them because the maple and pecan are outstanding.  I LOVE THEM.  
It looks good, Bill.  I will have to try your recipe.
I had 20 people over for 2 Boston Butts on Friday.  By the time I got some, it was picked dry.  I told my husband to go grab the second one out of the cooler and he laughed, and then said that WAS the second one on the plate.  Good grief.  They were lining up for thirds my husband said.
I made the Cinderella BBQ sauce in Smoke and Spice.  I will stop looking for BBQ sauces as this was the ABSOLUTE best I have ever had!!
They were mopping it out of the bowls I had it in with their meat and then went to find the pan to scrape the absolute last of it out!!
I love that smoker, it makes me look so good!!
Glad you had a great success too!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

simmy

Looks great Bill [:p][:p][:p] I used the Pecan on some bacon wrapped chicken breast. I have to agree with you that AWESOME is the word for pecan smoke!!!

Steve

Chez Bubba

A hearty welcome to our newest butt-lover![8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?