• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to smoking.

Started by firefigther12000, December 13, 2011, 12:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefigther12000

I just bought a bradley smoker. I want to smoke a brisket. How long do you actually smoke for. Do you smoke for the whole 16 -20 hours? Just need a little clarification. I watched the video on the bradley web site.

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to the forum, there is lots of really good information here on the forum...
I usually smoke a brisket 4 hours using hickory...my choice...and I think most here on the forum use 4 hours... and others will come by and give their opinion...great place to come and ask questions...hope this helps you...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

firefigther12000

Thank you for the fast response.. I want to make it for my chrismas party at work. I can't wait to get smoking!

Hiram

Usually a butt or brisket has taken on all the smoke it's going to after 4 hrs, I used to go 6 but found it to be overkill so to speak. I used hickory exclusively for a long time but recently I've been using some oak and I like it too, mesquite is way too strong for me at least on a 4 hr smoke.

SiFumar

Welcome! I do 4hrs hickory. Sometimes it's best to do a practice run before the "big" day.  Check out the recipe site for helpful recipes and hints. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php

Wildcat

I would recommend that foods other than brisket and butts to use less than 4 hours of smoke initially and gradually increase the smoke time each time you smoke that particular food until it suits your taste. As an example, if you decide to cold smoke some cheese you may want to do the first batch at just 1 hour of smoke. Chicken you may want to start off with 1.5 to 2 hours, etc.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

3 to 4 hours of  smoke depending on the  wood, and 1 hr to 1.5 hour cook per lb of meat