To Rub or not to Rub.......

Started by Phone Guy, April 15, 2005, 06:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I am going to try my hand at BB ribs this weekend. I would like to finish with a good BBQ sauce. <font color="red"><b>Do I need to use a rub first? I am also looking for a sweet rub as my Wife and daughter can't do heat (I do) so a little hot goes a long way. </b></font id="red">I prefer to make my own rub and not purchase one. I live in Redding CA and I have learned these people don't know BBQ. Supplies for smoking are hard to find. I did find some Mortons Tender Quick for future plans.

Thanks,
Mike

BigSmoker

You don't have to put rub on the ribs but it makes a nice crust/bark.  A simple rub is equal parts kosher salt, black pepper, turbinado sugar and maybe some paprika.  Have fun and enjoy the ribs.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

You don't have to use a rub, but as Jeff said it adds a nice bark, and flavor.
If you're looking for sweet, up the sugar amount, and use sweet paprika instead of hot.  Past that, you can put anything in you want.  Common spices are onion powder, garlic powder, lemon powder etc..
Don't be afraid to get creative.  I have used everything from ground coffee, to cardamom powder.  Just taste it before you put it on. [8D]

nsxbill

Another safe bet is Wishbone Italian Dressing.  Marinate overnight, and into the smoker!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />You don't have to use a rub, but as Jeff said it adds a nice bark, and flavor.
If you're looking for sweet, up the sugar amount, and use sweet paprika instead of hot.  Past that, you can put anything in you want.  Common spices are onion powder, garlic powder, lemon powder etc..
Don't be afraid to get creative.  I have used everything from ground coffee, to cardamom powder.  Just taste it before you put it on. [8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Small world.  Just tumbled some ground beef with coffee and cardamon[:D]

Jeff

Chez Bubba

I'm a dry rub guy.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Phone Guy

Today I smoked 3 BB ribs. I cut them all in half, If my calculations are correct there were 6 pieces when I finished cutting. On two I did a dry rub, put those on the 3rd rack down. The other 4 I did a light dusting of season salt then smoked at about 205-215 for what seamed like forever, about to about 180 deg. I used hickory. then I removed wraped in foil for about 30 min in the oven at 200 then smothered all in BBQ and laid them on a baking sheet and back in the oven at 350 for about 20 or 30 min. They were the best I have ever had. I have had BB ribs from more restaurants then I can remember. My wife and Daughter (9) couldn't get enough. We ate til it hurt. We were very happy with the results.

Thanks for all the great information on this site.

Mike

jaeger

Isn't that great when the whole family really enjoys your endeavors?[8D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

MallardWacker

I very surprised that Kirk has not loaded up on this one....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

Jeff, sounds good!  How exactly are you using that beef?

I have found that I like some ground coffee in my rubs, and also a bit of strong coffee or espresso in my sauce too!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Small world.  Just tumbled some ground beef with coffee and cardamon[:D]

Jeff

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
Jeff, sounds good!  How exactly are you using that beef?

I have found that I like some ground coffee in my rubs, and also a bit of strong coffee or espresso in my sauce too!

So far have just been making burgers.  When I get happy with all my proportions Will probally use for meat loaf, burgers, tri-tips and who knows what else.  My ultimate goal would be to tumble for a small grocery store in my town.  It would be something different from anyone else.

Jeff