• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

newbie with 1st smoker (OBS)

Started by rmdodson, February 20, 2010, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmdodson

Hello all,

I just got my 1st smoker, Bradley original (Amazon, $288), a couple of days ago! It's started raining & snowing this evening which is supposed to last through tomorrow (6-8" expected snowfall), so I'll hopefully get it set up outside on the porch & seasoned on Monday or Tuesday.

I love cooking & tend to grill out year 'round. I wanted to expand my skills & picked up the smoker along with a Maverick temperature probe. It's just me & hubby normally, but we have various family members is several times throughout the year.

I love chicken (all chicken, but especially legs & thighs) while hubby loves steaks & burgers. We also like cornish hens. I also make my own cheese & just started making my own sausage. So I plan on smoking these along with small roasts.

Can steaks be done in the Bradley? What kind? Hubby likes ribeyes & sirloins (or anything else I'll cook). How long would they take compared to chicken thighs? Or should I relegate steaks to the grill & get a smoker box for that?

Also, what is the lowest ambient temperature I should consider trying to use the smoker in? Is it too cold in the 30s to use the smoker? Can I set this thing up on a wooden table to get it off the ground? Hubby has an old coffee table he is willing to let me have.

Thanks, Rhonda

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Rhonda,

You sure can use the smoker in 30 deg weather. Many people including myself have done so in colder temps. Just make sure to keep it out of the wind.

No problem setting it on a wooden table either. The smoker is well insulated and does not get hot on the outside, just warm, doubt that the bottom will even be warm.

For the steaks, many members cold smoke them and finish on the grill. Search the forum for ideas on that.

Also check out the recipe site. Olds Place

Keep the vent open and have fun!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Gizmo

Welcome to the forum Rhonda.
Congrats on your purchase.  Let us know how you are doing and if you have any further questions.
Looks like Hawkeye beat me to the answer line.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Rhonda, nice to have you with us.

I see you make your own cheese, that's been an interesting topic on the forum lately.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13255.0

When you smoke/cook your chicken on the Bradley, make sure your vent is 3/4 to full open.

Have fun, and if any questions, just ask.

KevinG

Welcome to the forum Rhonda, you'll be cranking out some excellent smoked goodies in no time. When doing the smoked cheese, be prepared to wait it out, and you'll probably not want to smoke to long your first attempt. It can get pretty strong real quick. I'd start off with an hour at first, then let it sit vacuum sealed in the fridge for at least 10 days. If it's too light on smoke, you can go longer your next attempt. If you do too much smoke, or don't let it mellow for at least 10 days, it can taste like licking an ashtray.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

rmdodson

Thanks all for the info. My bradley is seasoning now & does the smoke smell delicious!

Before I do any cheese or sausages, I'm going to play with ribs, roasts, & poultry until I learn what I'm doing.

I currently got some chicken leg quarters thawing in the fridge which I'll toss in some marinade tomorrow morning & into the smoker tomorrow afternoon. Should I do them as leg quarters (3 hrs time) or cut them into separate legs & thighs (1-1&1/2 hrs)?

Wish me luck on my 1st smoke!     ???

smokeNcanuck

Rhonda,

I'm sure everything will turn out GREAT.  As a newbie I have yet to turn out anything that
was not delicious.

Nice to have you along for the ride! :D

sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Rhonda,
As has been mentioned if you have any questions all just ask. We have all been there at one time. Don't worry about stupid questions CRG already asked all of them.

The Ladies will surely enjoy some reinforcements!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun rmdodson

When doin poultry keep the vent wide open, poultry skin has allot of moisture in it and can turn into condensation, in side the smoker, that could drip some black crap down on your bird which anit good and if you get to much condensation in the smoker it could back up in your generator and really mess things up in there.

I did an 8 lb turkey breast last night, turned out great.

When smokin steaks the smoke will be more robust if you cold smoke for 2 hr pull out wrap in plastic and put in the fridge over night then the next day cook as you always do.

I will buy the whole side when New York or Sirlion is on sale and slice into steaks. Cold smoke all the steaks and vac seal then freeze for a later date.

ArnieM

Hi Rhonda and welcome to the forum.

Many here will smoke the chicken until not quite done (IT of 140-145) and then finish on the grill or in the oven for crispier skin.  The skin tends to be kinda rubbery directly out of the smoker.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Caneyscud

Or just do those legs and thighs bare.  I'm not a fan of chicken skin, besides, not eating it certainly saves calories and/or grams of fat.  No real need to disjoint them.  

You can smoke steaks until they get the temp. (degree of doneness) that you want, but that may not be the best use of steak or pucks.  IT will be good BTW, especially the thicker steaks, just won't look like most steaks.  A steak gets lots of flavor from what is called the Maillard reaction (browning), and you just won't get this in the Bradley - not hot enough.  That's why the 2-part process - smoke then grill.

BTW - welcome to the forum Rhonda.  And lucky hubby!  He's gonna be getting some good eats soon!  

Oh yeh, ditto to what the others said!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum rmdodson!

I've cold smoked steaks and then grill. It would be best to cold smoke, wrap and plastic and refrigerate 24 hours, then grill, but I've gone right from the smoker to the grill with good results.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!