Cheesemaking - Farmhouse Cheddar

Started by deb415611, December 20, 2009, 05:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Ok here goes.  I'm going to get this posted with the pics but will come back and add some of my notes.  The whole cheese making process is pretty overwhelming.  So far everything looks good but I have another 3 weeks to go to really find out...........    Since there are so many pictures I'm going to put them in as clickable images.

Farmhouse Cheddar

Farmhouse cheddar is a quick version of cheddar and does not use the traditional cheddaring method.

(modified from Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll)

2 gallons whole milk
1 packet direct-set mesophilic starter or 4 ounces prepared mesophilic starter  (I used direct set)
½ teaspoon liquid rennet
1 tablespoon cheese salt
Calcium Chloride (amount per package direction) (this isn't listed in the recipe but is recommended in the non-recipe section of the book for store purchased milk)

The milk on the right is what we used for this  

-Heat the milk to 90 degrees.   Add the starter and stir thoroughly.  Cover and allow the milk to ripen for 45 minutes.

Since the milk only needed to get to 90 in this step and maxes out at 100 later we used water in the sink to heat the milk.  It's safer than directly on the stove because you have more control.  You can add hot or cold water as needed easily.  My tap water was about 117 degrees so it had not problem bringing the milk up to temp.  :

-   Add the calcium chloride and stir
-   Add the diluted rennet and stir gently with an up & down motion for 1 minute.  

Picture of the calcium chloride, rennet & starter:

-   Cover and let set at 90 degrees for 45 minutes or until the curd gives a clean break (missed getting picture of this and next step)

-   Cut the curd into ½ inch cubes

-   Slowly heat the curds to 100 degrees , increasing temperature no more than two degrees every 5 minutes.  This will take about 30 minutes.  Stir gently to keep curds from matting.  The curds will shrink noticeably in size as the heating continues.  The yellowish whey will grow in quantity.

Almost to 100!

-Cover the container and let the curds set for 5 minutes.  Pour the curds into a cheesecloth –lined colander.  Tie corners of cheese cloth and hang to drain for 1 hour.

-Place dried curds in bowl and break them up gently with your fingers into walnut-sized pieces.  Mix in salt.

-Firmly pack the curds into a 2 - lb cheese mold lined with cheesecloth.

-Apply 10 lbs of pressure for 10 minutes

After 10 lbs

-Remove cheese from mold, gently peel off cheesecloth, turn cheese over and redress with cheesecloth.  Press with 20 lbs for 10 minutes.

After 20 lbs:

-Repeat process & press at 50 lbs of pressure for 12 hours.

This is what I used for pressing weights

What it looked like while pressing :

-Remove cheese from mold & carefully peel away the cheesecloth.  

after pressing for 12 hours

-Air dry on wooden board until nice rind has formed  2 -4 days.  Turn the cheese several times a day so moisture will not collect on bottom.

-   Wax the cheese (I vac packed it instead)

-   Age for at least 1 month.  (I'm aging in an old dorm sized fridge at 50 degrees with a Ranco controller    looks lonely in there - will have to make a friend for it this weekend

I have a few more pics on the camera and more notes that I will add in the next day or two.

Caribou

Wow Deb!
you made such a great 101, maybe this will be the cheese I should try first  ;)
Great pics!
Carolyn

KevinG

Excellent job, great pics & descriptions!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

Hi Deb;

I've been waiting for this post. It looks great. I will give it a good read it later.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

I still need to post the mascarpone.  It is a much smaller post.  It is much less involved.

HCT

Thanks Deb. Looks easy enough with your tutorial.
I'm going to have to give it a try, another recipe on the to-do list. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

classicrockgriller

I was so busy making tamales that I missed this yesterday.

That is way kewl and doesn't look that hard or maybe you
are a great Teacher and make it look easy.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I have been reading my book, I take it to the deer stand with me.

Thanks deb for a great post.

Caribou

I was wondering where you were CRG.
But making tamales is a very valid excuse  :D
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

First time for the spinach ones and they didn't behave very well.

I went to the cheesemakers web page and got confused on what to order.

Maybe Deb or Caribou can set me straight in what I need.

I think it was the liq rennet. There were too many options.

deb415611

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 21, 2009, 09:17:45 AM

CRG -
What cheese do you want to make?  I'm at lunch so won't check back until tonight but I can do some links later.  If it's Farmhouse cheddar I"ll work the links into the post above

Also,  I don't know much about hunting but if you are reading in the deer stand how do you know you are not missing a deer to shoot?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: deb415611 on December 21, 2009, 09:34:47 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 21, 2009, 09:17:45 AM

CRG -
What cheese do you want to make?  I'm at lunch so won't check back until tonight but I can do some links later.  If it's Farmhouse cheddar I"ll work the links into the post above

Also,  I don't know much about hunting but if you are reading in the deer stand how do you know you are not missing a deer to shoot?

deb -
I want to make what the teacher is teaching. No hurry as I probably won't try this until after the 1st.

I don't get excited if I miss seeing a deer. I go to the camp for the food/drink and to hide from wifie.

ArnieM

Very impressive Deb and very nice write up.  Maybe someday ...
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

deb, have you looked at the plans for the self-made press?

I may just order the plans to see how complicated it is.

This one looks like it could be made for about $5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350221537739&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVI7&GUID=adb2bb971250a0265384c6d4fe648db0&itemid=350221537739&ff4=263602_263622

Here's another one with plans to make it, very similar.

http://schmidling.com/press.htm

deb415611

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 21, 2009, 12:06:29 PM
deb, have you looked at the plans for the self-made press?

I may just order the plans to see how complicated it is.

This one looks like it could be made for about $5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350221537739&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVI7&GUID=adb2bb971250a0265384c6d4fe648db0&itemid=350221537739&ff4=263602_263622

Here's another one with plans to make it, very similar.

http://schmidling.com/press.htm

I'll give you some plan links & comments later.  I wouldn't spend any money on the plans.  I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for a press. 

classicrockgriller

And the faithful student obeys the teacher