• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

adjustment period?

Started by db14, May 03, 2010, 08:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db14

So at this point I have the rib cooking down.  The issue I will soon be faced with is changing my methods slightly and I wanted to know what other s experienced when they made this change.  I will be receiving my ET-7 this week and want to know how that may effect my cooking.  So far I have mostly done ribs and always on the top two racks, which keeps the food above the door therm and should be helping to give me somewhat accurate readings.  When I start using the more accurate Maverick will there be an adjustment period to know what temps I would like to see?  My thinking is that the temps that I've been using from the door probe may not really be what I think they are, so when I strive for the same temps on the Maverick I may be dissappointed.  Oh, and I am cooking for my wife's graduation party this weekend and would like to not screw that up.

FLBentRider

I would continue to do as you have done, since you have it down.

Put the maverick in there for observational purposes, noting the differences. Eventually rely on it.

Or are you saying you want to cook the ribs by IT?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Hey db, if it works don't change it  ;D

I always use the top two racks for ribs whenever possible.  Keeps them away from the direct heat.

You can put an ET-7 probe on the lower rack of ribs.  It will likely read closer to the door thermo if at the front.  The back will be hotter.  That's why some people install a fan.

I don't know of anyone that cooks ribs by IT.  It's look and feel because there's really no place to put the probe.

Then, of course, you can have 'em dry or sauced.  I've started preferring them dry with sauce on the side.

Don't worry.  You'll do good for the party.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Quote from: ArnieM on May 03, 2010, 09:55:26 AM
I don't know of anyone that cooks ribs by IT.  It's look and feel because there's really no place to put the probe.

The last batch I did I poked around them with the Thermoworks, the readings were all over the place 190-195F between the ribs, but the meatier end pieces were in the 170's

I just don't know how you could get any consistent results that way.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

db14

I guess I should have specified.  I'm going to use one of the probes to monitor the CT.  I'll be using 3 racks for my next smoke, so the door probe won't be too reliable.  I'll just put the Mav probe below the food towards the front and do like I always do.  There's only one way to learn, right?

classicrockgriller

Like everyone else said, if you are doing Great ribs and it looks like you are,

I wouldn't re-learn untill after you made Great ribs for wifes' graduation.

By the way, Congrats to your Wife!

ArnieM

As CRG and I both said, keep doing what doing what you're doing if you're happy with it.  Don't worry about probe temps.  Also, I apologize for not giving a congrats to your wife.  I'm sure she worked hard.  OK, Sonny, slap me upside of the head.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Congrats to your wife. It's not ever year that a married person gets their grade 12. OK, ALRIGHT, YOU KNOW I WAS JOKING. Hey it took me 2 years to get my grade one. :D :D ;D Seriously what is your wife graduating from.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

db14

HA, that would be college......the first time.  It only took 6 years!  I can say that because she's not on here.  She changed schools and majors and is finally getting a secondary ed degree to teach biology.  She'll teach about animals and I'll smoke 'em and eat 'em  ;D

Quarlow

That sounds like one of them cymbiotic relationships. Crap that was a big word and I probably spelled it wrong. That's what 2 years of grade one will do for ya. My head hurts now, I think I will go take a nap. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.