• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Juicy Baby Backs

Started by Phone Guy, May 27, 2005, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I have smoked baby backs before but they were not as moist as I would like. They tasted great but were just a little dry. I cooked them to 185 deg. internal temp. I didn't have bacon on them, that may make a difference but I was wondering about the internal temp. I know this has been discussed but I need help for this weekend. Thanks.

psdubl07

IMO, wrap them in foil after the smoke portion is done, at which point you're opening the smoker to change out the water anyway.  Kick the temp up to 250 or so until internal temp around 190.  This is how I keep them moist and get them to fall off the bone.

BigSmoker

I would use the bacon as well during the first of the cook.  You can also add a little apple juice to the foil when you wrap them.  If you don't want to foil spritz with apple jiuce 75% and apple cider vinegar 25% every 1/2 hour or so when they reach 170f.  You will extend your cooking time by opening the door but that should help keep them moist.  Have fun.  BTW I use spares trimmed to St. Louis style(about the same size trimmed as BB's).  They have a little more fat to help keep things moist.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

Good point Jeff.  I have also used 2 or 3 parts cider to 1 part cider vinegar to splash on before wrapping in foil.  It doesn't take much.