• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pappy's rub?

Started by Phone Guy, June 01, 2005, 10:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

Has anyone tried Pappy's rub. I put some on some spare's I did Monday and added brown sugar but realized the rub was quite salty so I did a quick rinse, leaving some on but rinsed the bulk off. I had planned on saucing the ribs but they tasted so good I didn't add sauce. We had about 20 people over and had a lot of compliments on the ribs. I picked up a cryo pack of the ribs, I thought I picked up babby backs but when I thawed them and started preping I realized I had spare ribs (St. Louis)and thought I would make the best of it. I was pleased. Wondering if others have had experience with Pappy's.

nsxbill

I am using it, and last 2 batches of BB ribs and last 2 of wings(about 10#) have been great.  I do a vacuum marinate in the Reveo tumble with Italian dressing 6 Tbsp. Rocky's, some hot sauce and tumble for 1/2 hour.  Dust with Dizzy Pig Rub then overnight in the fridge for smoking the next day.  8 racks in the smoker right now, and the chicken wings finished up about an hour ago, and are delicious.

I like it, and it is quick and easy.  I ran out of Coca-Cola fountain syrup for ribs but was out of it this time.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Phone Guy

I saw that it's made in CA. I am from CA and I noticed you're from CA. I wonder if it's just a west coast thing. I look forward to seeing who replies to this.

acords

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />Has anyone tried Pappy's rub. I put some on some spare's I did Monday and added brown sugar but realized the rub was quite salty so I did a quick rinse, leaving some on but rinsed the bulk off. I had planned on saucing the ribs but they tasted so good I didn't add sauce. WE had about 20 people over and had a lot of compliments on the ribs. I picked up a cryo pack of the ribs, I thought I picked up babby backs but when I thawed them and started preping I realized I had spare ribs (St. Louis)and thought I would make the best of it. I was pleased. Wondering if others have had experience with Pappy's.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I usually use Pappy's on Tri Tip, but have used it on ribs.  Very nice flavor, but you are right it is pretty salty.  I used to do the rub and rest in the fridge, now I put it on about 10 minutes before I'm ready to cook.  Seems to flavor fine, and all the salt doesn't pull the moisture out of the meat.  I give Pappy's a 2 thumbs up!!!
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

JJC

If you haven't tried Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub on tri-tip, you don't know what you're missing!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

owrstrich

i picked up some pappys santa maria rubb at the smart & final last year...

i have used it on pig butt... pig loin... ribeye roast... brisket... chicken wraps...

i mix a little extra onion powder in it...

all turned out very good tasty...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

acords

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />If you haven't tried Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub on tri-tip, you don't know what you're missing!

John
Newton MA

Where can I find that?  I'm always intersted in a new season
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by acords</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />If you haven't tried Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub on tri-tip, you don't know what you're missing!

John
Newton MA

Where can I find that?  I'm always intersted in a new season
Jeff Whitaker aka BigSmoker (one of the regulars on the Forum) sells them.  You can access his website at bbqshopping.com  There's quite a few Dizzy Pig rubs on the site as well as some excellent rubs from other makers and they are all very high quality.  A lot of the guys on the Forum enjoy making their own because it's pretty easy, but I'm too lazy and love trying new things anyway.  Jeff's also used them all a lot so he can answer any specific questions for you, too.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA