• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Peruvian Hickory Chicken

Started by waterkc, June 25, 2010, 10:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterkc

So I did the Chicken tonight and its smelling awesome. I am not going to get into it until tomorrow as it went a lot longer then I thought.

So I expected about 3 hours. Started at 4:30 and hit the internal of 175° at 9:45 for a 4lbs chicken. Had the oven set to 250 not sure what the real temp was as I am still waiting on my dual probe to show up. I hit it with 2hrs 20mins of smoke.

Here is what it looked like just before I FTC'd the thing:

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

FLBentRider

Why'd you take the IT so high?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

waterkc

Well it was recommended by CaptainKM. Is there a problem with the temp? I had some of the chicken today and its juice and tasty as hell so I am going to call it a success.

Could I ask what temp you would suggest? I was going to go about 160° but again was suggested to take it to 175.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

FLBentRider

Quote from: waterkc on June 26, 2010, 10:19:05 AM
Well it was recommended by CaptainKM. Is there a problem with the temp? I had some of the chicken today and its juice and tasty as hell so I am going to call it a success.

Could I ask what temp you would suggest? I was going to go about 160° but again was suggested to take it to 175.

I would have gone with the 160F in the white meat, 163-165 in the dark.. When you take it out, the temp will typically rise a few degrees, depending on the amount of mass, the more mass, the more rise.

I didn't mean to sound accusatory, it seemed like you thought it took longer than you wanted it to, and getting to that higher IT is just going to extend the time.

At 170F that chicken should have fallen apart on its own.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

If it came out to your liking, don't worry about the temp.  A brined chicken can go to a higher IT and still come out good.  I don't know if you brined yours or not.

So, what is a Peruvian chicken?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

waterkc - Your chicken looks a lot better than mine.  Pic below.

I've started a review for the newsletter on another electric smoker I got.  Experimenting with chicken is fairly inexpensive.  Did this one yesterday.

It seemed to be a very thin-skinned chicken.  It was brined for four hours.  I put Cajun seasoning under the skin and on the outside.  Cooked to a thigh-IT of 170.  The skin on the breast just sort of disappeared.

But, like you, it came out tender and moist, though mine's ugly.  My wife raved about it.

I'll be trying ribs on Sunday.

Edit:  Forgot the pic.

-- Arnie

waterkc

Hey Arnie,

Nice looking bird man. Congrates! Let me know how the ribs go, I have a Brisket in the fridge that I am going to do on Tuesday, its sitting in Home Made Cuban Mojo. Started it today. I have 120 Pack of Hickory, think I am going to need some more biscuits. Think the sell them by the pallet? lol

Smoke Smoke Smoke. yeah baby

ArnieM

OK waterkc, now you owe me two.

What is the Peruvian chicken?

What's your Cuban Mojo?
-- Arnie

waterkc

Sent you and email Bro, let me know if they make it ok.  ;)

hal4uk

Uhhhh...   That all sounds good...  But...
Do we have to hack Arnie's email box to get the recipes?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hal4uk on June 26, 2010, 06:24:27 PM
Uhhhh...   That all sounds good...  But...
Do we have to hack Arnie's email box to get the recipes?

Must be a bigger secret than nepas has! ;D

Arnie if that is a OS chicken, you don't need brining!

And your heat was too high! ;D

waterkc

No no not at all, sorry gent's. Not sure what is proper for this. I will post them.

:Peruvian Roasted Chicken:
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Yield: Serves 6

Preparation:
Combine vinegar, wine, oil with garlic powder, cumin, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Mix well to form a paste. Add lemon juice to cold water. Trim chicken of any excess or loose fat. Wash chicken thoroughly with lemon water. Place chicken in zip-top bag. Pour spice paste over chicken. Coat chicken completely with mixture rubbing into every surface. Try to get the paste under the skin as much as possible.

Seal bag and place chicken in refrigerator for at least 2 to 24 hours.

Preheat grill and prepare rotisserie. Place chicken on rotisserie and on the grill for approximately 1 1/2 hours at a temperature around 300 degrees F. (150 degrees C.) Test chicken for doneness by measure in the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh. Chicken is done at 165 degrees F. (75 degrees C.).

Dipping sauce:
Combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons mustard and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Mix and server on the side.

Mojo Recipe
1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cloves of Garlic, thinly slices or minced
2/3 cup Sour Orange Juice (or equal parts Orange Juice and Lime Juice)
1/2 tp ground Cummin
Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper Corns (to taste)

Heat EVOO in deep sauce pan over medium heat. add Garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasted. Don't let it brown or it will be acrid tasting. About 30 seconds should be enough.

Add the sour juice, cummin, and Kosher Salt and Pepper, Step Back as it may sputter. Bring to a rolling boil. Taste and correct seasoning if needed.

cool before serving. Mojo is best when served within a couple of hours of the making it. but it will keep for several days, well capped in a jar or bottle, in the refrigerator.

classicrockgriller

hal4uk

Sounds tasty... The MOJO is similar (or the same) as what you need for Cuban roast pork (for Cuban sammiches)....
And, apparently, they sell it in bottles in Texas!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

waterkc

Yep there is only one Cuban Mojo that I know of, and all variations are just some what the same. Have not found a place to get Goya out here, so I make my own. Again the traditional Mojo is very simple, nothing else in it.

Plus you can make this your self instead of buying the bottle,