• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Wagyu Brisket and Chopped pork

Started by KCTR, June 30, 2010, 08:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCTR

I'm happy to say my 2 favorite things are going to happen this weekend, blowing up fireworks and smoking some brisket.  But I'm smoking a Waygu for the first time...anybody have any experience with it?  I'm wondering if I should take the temp up to 185 like I do with the usual brisket.  Also any suggestions on flavor of pucks? 

Also, I'm planning on doing a chopped pork vs. pulled.  I'm considering smoking the pork until done and then chopping it and drowning in my homemade sauce and then throwing it back in the smoker for an hour or so to add an extra affect.  Thoughts?  Anybody done chopped pork before and have good luck? 

I'll send pics as i get this thing rolling saturday but wanted to pre advice. 

Thanks!

DarqMan

wow, where'd you score a wagyu brisket?  The way I understand it, that's basically the same thing as Kobe... lots of marblization so should be delicious. I like hickory or oak on brisket but it's really a personal choice.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

I haven't, but I will be watching!

I know ronbreaux has and maybe BLSH & Pachanga & of course Caney.

I have done "Chopped Pork" but it was an accident. ;D

Habanero Smoker

For brisket I use oak bisquettes. I not only go by internal temperature, but also use the fork test to determine tenderness. The fork test is to determine when your brisket is tender, and I generally will stop at that point. I only smoke/cook flats, and for me it averages between 180°F - 185°F. I feel going any higher then as soon as it reaches fork tender will continue to dry out the brisket.

The fork test is simple. Use a regular dining fork or two tong fork, and insert it into the the brisket. If you like more firmness in the meat, you should be able to insert the fork, and remove it without any resistance. If you like it more tender, you should be able to insert the fork and it should easily twist.

I've made chopped pork using the picnic cut, but not with the butt. For picnics I take them to 165°F for chopping or slicing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Yep Wagyu is "American Kobe".  I'll be doing one this weekend that I am picking up today, along with some ribs.  Guess great minds think alike.  ;D 

Tried one a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic when treated just like another brisket.  Because of the extensive marbelling that Kobe beef is known for it tends to be more moist and tender than CAB Choice cooked identically side-by-side.  How done to go is a matter of preference, but you probably won't need to push it for tenderness.  I like Hab's method for fork tenderness.

On wood, for beef I prefer oak or pecan, but many like hickory and some like Mesquite.  Again, a matter of personal preference.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caribou

I'm looking forward to seeing this brisket :)
You got to post some pics for us to drool all over.
Carolyn

FLBentRider

For chopped pork most use a picnic shoulder instead of a boston butt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KCTR

I'm thinking it'll take 8 hours to smoke, any thoughts?  It's a 12 lb brisket.  Any suggestions on the chopped pork?  I'm considering smoking until tender, then chopping and into a foil bin and back into the smoker for another hour or so w/some barbeque sauce.  Never done chopped pork, have done pulled, but had a chopped pork sammy and am hooked on the idea now... :)

watchdog56

I think you should put back in smoker uncovered but with the sauce on it and maybe an hour or 2 with some more smoke. Bet that would make an excellent flavor. ;)

ronbeaux

Fork test the Wagyu. Otherwise cook it like you normally would. It will get tender quicker and the temp of the internal may confuse you if your used to other types of brisket. For the pork, its done at around 165, but I would let it bust through plateau and then take it off and rest it. No need to take it all the way to pull temps.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Caneyscud

Have not done one yet, but have read extensively.  And know one guy who has.  His cooked in about an hour per pound.  Which is what I've heard generally.  

Chopped pork - that's one way - but seems like it would dry out if not careful.  However, used to be an old feller down in AL that would smoke and chop then put the chopped meat in a old cast iron skillet and heat it up in the skillet until almost crispy on the outside fibers before putting it on the bun with some thin red southern sauce.  Some of the best chopped pork I have had.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

BuyLowSellHigh

Did a Wagyu brisket over the weekend - outstanding. These things really taste like good roast beef but with a moist and tender good brisket texture. While cooking I used it as an opportunity to use my Thermapen to figure out how this thing was cooking.  Ronbeaux's comments about temps being confusing is a good point, tenderness could easily be judged by the ease with which the thermapen slid in.  The variation across the brisket was as much as 20 °F, and around 180-185 °F  it would turn very tender.

One comment for anyone considering one of these -- a lot of fat is rendered during cooking and continues through resting (i.e., FTC), and I mean way more than what I have ever seen from a conventional choice brisket. As the temp rolls over about 160 °F it really rolls and drips. I smoked mine and cooked to an IT of 160 °F in the flat, then into a pan and oven finished.  If you do the entire thing in a Bradley smoker just be mindful of the significant amount of rendered fat that will result and drip off the brisket as it cooks. Things to be concerned about are beef-fat grease smoke, beef-fat grease drips on other food, and if not properly managed the potential for a grease fire.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here