Has anyone ever smoked Crappie?

Started by Phantom Smoker, October 16, 2010, 07:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom Smoker

My grandpa wants me to smoke some crappie he caught. What Brine?

KyNola

I would probably go with Kummok's salmon brine but since those crappie fillets are much thinner they won't have to stay in the brine nearly as long.  Be sure and tell us how this goes.  I love crappie.  Smoking it sounds very interesting to me.

Phantom Smoker

I was thinking Kummoks also. Ill let you know how it goes. Doing it tomarrow.

Chili Head

I'll be watching too  ;) I'm going on a 4 day crappie / bass trip this week and was wondering if anyone has smoked white fish before.

Phantom Smoker

KyNola

Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

Gizmo

I have done crappie once many years ago when I caught a few and the family was out of town so it was experimenting time.  I had a bullet smoker at the time.  Didn't do a brine and they were the best smoked fish I had ever had.  Unfortunatley I don't remember what I did to prepare them.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

watchdog56

I have done many crappies before. I soak in a slat brine for 24 hours then put in smoker until done.
Brine is about 1 gal of water then I dissolve canning salt (add salt to water and dissolve,then take a raw egg and put it in water. You want the egg to go to bottom of bucket and slowly float back up. Then I add 1/2 cup brown sugar and I also use 1/4 bottle of liquid smoke.) Let pellicle form before putting in smoker then start at 120 for 1 1/2 hours then bump temp to 140 for 5 hours,then to 175 until finished. It took me about 12 hours but they were good. Probably could have been done earlier and still been good. These crappies were in the 10-12 inch size. Smoke with what ever kind of  wood you like.

Caneyscud

With crappie, catfish, bass, etc.... I just sprinkle whatever rub I want on them and stick in a smoker until done.  Sometimes I'll put a little butter on and some lemon or lime juice. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"