• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie - What problem do bubba pucks solve?

Started by curioffl, July 09, 2010, 08:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curioffl

I was reading about bubba pucks even before I got my Bradley and got my yardandpool.com set even before my bisquettes arrived from amazon.  I have been using them and they work fine, but I am sort of wondering now what problem they solve?

I see that you have to add two extra bisquettes when you run the machine (presumably in order to push the last bisquette up on to the burner) but couldn't you just reuse those bisquettes the next time?  (Just curious.)

Thanks.

squirtthecat

The bisquette next to the heating element will start to scorch..   That's why we use the aluminum bubbas to kick the last of the pucks into the water. (or some people do it by hand w/ a screwdriver)

curioffl

Cool, thanks.  I bought a set of 3 on yardandpool.com's advice and the bubba puck ending up closest to the burner does indeed look a bit 'cooked'.

3rensho

Quote... and the bubba puck ending up closest to the burner does indeed look a bit 'cooked'.

So have my fingers after picking one up off the burner plate.  Doh!!  ;D ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

DTAggie

Made that mistake myself 3rensho - but only once!

ArnieM

I haven't used bubba pucks - yet.  But then I didn't think I'd need a PID either.

I set up the SG with the required number of pucks for n hours of smoking and set a timer for n hours.  At the end of the time I turn off the SG.  I have about a 50-50 chance of reusing the puck closest to the hot plate as a pusher again.  That equates to about 18 cents loss over time or about $1.80 for every ten smokes.  I couldn't cost justify the bubba pucks.  But, I might get some anyway and some frog mats.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

CLAREGO

;D yeah nothing like smelling flesh on the burner lol

elweezo

Found a cheaper version on ebay. Type in bradley woodsaver pucks
I thought I had something intersting to put here but then I thought again

classicrockgriller