Temp of Smoke Generator Plate

Started by classicrockgriller, May 07, 2010, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I got courious about how hot the smoke gen plate gets that burns your bisquettes.

So I fired up my BDS and let it set for a while and took a temp reading with an flat oven gauge,

maverick temp probe, and my Turkey probe and they all were around 280* with no puck on it.

Does anyone know for sure?

Sailor

Without me digging through my old notebooks and articles I am trying to remember of the top of my head.  At one time I was a certified Fire/Arson Investigator and used to know this stuff but being out of the field for over 30 years I would not put this in the bank unless I researched it. 

With that said, I seem to remember that pyrophoric carbon will form but will not spontaneous ignite at temperatures lower than 300 degrees F or 150 degrees C.  Meaning that you will get charring of wood and wood particles at less than 300 degrees F but it will not produce flame.  So it would stand to reason that the puck burner would be tuned to produce a temperature of less than 300 degrees.  With that said, a piece of wood that has produced pyrophoric carbon and is exposed for an extended period of time can and will spontaneous ignite at temperatures of 170 degrees.  Let's say you have a 2x4 with a piece of sheet metal covering it.  You have a device that generates heat that is against the metal it will in time start to char the wood behind the metal.  Over a period of time the wood will build up more and more pyrophoric carbon.  When the right conditions exist the heat source of say 180 degrees will then cause the carbon to spontaneous ignite behind the sheet metal.

So, having the generator with a temp of 280 degrees and that will push the pucks off the heat source every 20 minutes is a good thing.  And I would recommend that after a smoke that the used puck on the heating source be discarded to avoid any chance of ignition.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Quarlow

I hope that answered your question Sonny.  ;D ;D ;D Actually that is very good info. Thanks sailor. The knowledge on here is so diverse it's amazing.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

WOW!

I thought I would get some wolf calls and other questionable responses

But I didn't really quite expect this.

Thanks Sailor.

Thanks for taking the time to write a great responce.

DTAggie

Damn Sailor, that was interesting.  Can you figure out why the bottom of my door keeps cracking?

moodyfisherman

Quote from: DTAggie on May 07, 2010, 09:12:00 PM
Damn Sailor, that was interesting.  Can you figure out why the bottom of my door keeps cracking?
;D ;D ;D funny....we could only hope.... but I bet if it catches on fire he will have a great answer for you though :D
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

deb415611

Sonny,

I measured today with my infrared thermometer.  It ranged from 292 to 303 in different spots.  It had been on for about an hour and a 1/2.   

Deb

classicrockgriller

Quote from: deb415611 on May 09, 2010, 05:42:04 PM
Sonny,

I measured today with my infrared thermometer.  It ranged from 292 to 303 in different spots.  It had been on for about an hour and a 1/2.   

Deb

Thanks Deb. Our temp reading with what Sailor has stated all makes sense together.