• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

venison tenderloins

Started by djkost, December 03, 2010, 06:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkost

Does anyone know what the internal temps should be for vension? 1st I used morton sugar cure and rubbed it in then left it in the fridge at 35-38 degrees for 3 days. Soaked them in cool water for 2 1/2 hours then put them in the smoker with alder smoke until the internal temps were 145 to 147. Took them out and let them sit and cook in their own juices. It turned out good but I checked on some other sites and the internal temps ranged from 145 to 165. Which is right or should I say which is safe. I know that you dont want to over cook venison it dries out. Any one else have temps that they use?

classicrockgriller

I would think the temp you finished them is fine, if you liked the doneness at that temp.

Personally on venison, I don't like to see RED.

Tenpoint5

I usually take my Venison loins to 145-150ยบ. With the cure you should be fine. I am guessing that your talking about the back straps (Loins) and not the hanging tenders (Tenderloins) from the inside.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

djkost

Yes, they are backstraps. I mainly cure and smoke pork and that I bring to at least 175.

Tenpoint5

Wow that is really high. Does the pork dry out on you? I usually tend to max out at 160 with pork no higher.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!