• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork tenderloin questions (with photo).

Started by SmokeyJoe, December 14, 2010, 11:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeyJoe

So this will only be my third smoke. I am trying to use up our frozen meats otherwise this is not what I would have chosen. It is a store  bought hormel mesquite marinated pork tenderloin about 1.7 lbs. On with the questions

how long to cook and smoker temp? its about 10 degrees outside right now, if that makes a difference.
how much smoke?
internal temp to remove @?
dry rub or not?

Thanks for any advice!

KyNola

First thing I would do is rinse all of that marinade off that I could and pat dry.  Next, if you want a rub on it put it on there.  Personally, I would put a rub on it.  I would smoke it for a couple of hours with the wood of your choice at 225 to an internal temp of 145. Higher than 145 and it will begin to dry out.  Don't sweat it if it is a little pink when you slice it.  Don't forget to preheat the smoker.  That 10 degree air temp is going to suck the life out of your smoker as soon as you open the door to put the meat in.

Can't get much easier and it will be tasty.

squirtthecat

Yep, just what KyNola says. Wash as much goo off as you can.   I've done a couple of these little guys, and they cook fast.  You'll want to keep a close eye on the IT or it will start to dry out on you.

SmokeyJoe

Thanks for your quick replies! I did rinse it off, pat it dry and put a rub on it as you suggested.

So I was all preheated and ready to go, so I put my weber wireless IT in and put it in the OB, then I was getting an IT of 136! my wireless IT took a poop! does anyone remember length of time on these tenderloins? or a way to fix my IT sensor?

squirtthecat

It's had to pick a time, as you are running in the colder temps...    Sounds like the wire on the remote got wet, I've ruined a couple Maverick probes that way.   Do you have another thermometer you can monitor it with?  Even a meat thermometer that you can just jam in it?    You'll have to open the door to check it, but you can do that quickly.

KyNola

Any chance your Weber wireless was dual probed?  One for the meat and one for the cooking chamber?  If so jam the one that would normally be used to gauge the chamber temp into the tenderloin.

Man, that really sucks.

SmokeyJoe

So I pulled the thermocouple out of the probe, and there was a little corrosion on the wires. I cleaned them off and viola, ambient temp in the room! Its back in the pork. I think I have a probe that came with one of my slow cookers, I will try that later so I have a backup! <---thanks for that advice!

Back on track.....

KyNola