Jerky Rookie

Started by johnk5555, December 07, 2010, 06:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on December 14, 2010, 10:17:14 AM
Quote from: BigJohnT on December 14, 2010, 10:11:21 AM
For jerky I installed the extra rack kit from Scott just so I don't drop an upside down tray again...

John

John - I've looked around for the extra rack kit for my 4 rack and haven't found it yet. Who is this Scott guy and how do I get in touch eith him. Thanks!

The link is in my signature...

also a killer recipe for jerky is on my web site...

John

johnk5555

So I had the butcher slice 4lbs of London Broil for me today. Meat looked really good, it had been dry aged for about 4 days. I had it sliced into 1/4 inch strips. Only thing I am worried about is they are not that long. I say average of 3"-4" strips. Is shrinkage going to be a problem?

I have it marinading in the LEM Pepper flavored marinade. Will let that go for 24hrs and then dry it for another 2-4.

Pictures will be posted soon!

I read on another post they did 225 degrees for 2.5 hours. I slo saw 200 for 6-7 hours  ??? ??? ???

BigJohnT

I start at 120F and work up to 140F... but I have no idea what is in the LEM peppered marinade. BTW, London Broil is a method of cooking the flank steak, not a cut of meat. I prefer the eye of round cut for jerky, much less fat to trim off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil

John

johnk5555

I think what they said was it was top round cut for london broil???

johnk5555

Pre-Marinade

Before bagging for 24hr fridge sit.

In Bag

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: BigJohnT on December 30, 2010, 04:31:49 PM
I start at 120F and work up to 140F... but I have no idea what is in the LEM peppered marinade. BTW, London Broil is a method of cooking the flank steak, not a cut of meat. I prefer the eye of round cut for jerky, much less fat to trim off.

John

Here in California, London Broil is cut of meat. It is generally about twice as thick as what they call flank here.

I just finished a batch of jerky using London broil and the length isn't an issue for mem just more to pieces to deal with. BTW, nearly 5 lbs. made about 2 lbs of jerky. Good stuff.

BigJohnT

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on December 30, 2010, 07:06:38 PM
Quote from: BigJohnT on December 30, 2010, 04:31:49 PM

John

Here in California, London Broil is cut of meat. It is generally about twice as thick as what they call flank here.

I just finished a batch of jerky using London broil and the length isn't an issue for mem just more to pieces to deal with. BTW, nearly 5 lbs. made about 2 lbs of jerky. Good stuff.

You guys on the left coast always have to be different  ;D

John