Jerky Rookie

Started by johnk5555, December 07, 2010, 06:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnk5555

Just got my BT1S1 and was interested in doing some jerky ::)

Here are the questions:

1.) Just going to do beef? What cut of meat do I use?
2.) How do I get it sliced?
3.) Seasoning? I like peppered beef jerky.
4.) Temprature?
5.) Just lay it on the racks?
6.) Anyother tips?

Thanks,
John

Sailor

Welcome to the forum.  I have not tried to do any jerky in the Bradley so I will not be of much help to you.  Many on here are pros at making jerky and they will be along shortly to give you some pointers.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KevinG

Welcome to the forum!

You can use any lean cut of meat.
I've sliced them by hand with a good knife, it's sometimes easier if it's partially frozen (not solid but just to where it gets stiff), or if you've got a meat slicer or mandolin slicer.

There are a ton of seasoning recipes, just gotta pick one that looks good to you.

Yep, you can just lay them on the racks, but they're easier to pull off if you coat the racks with pam or something similar. You also want to drip dry them prior to putting in the smoker.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

johnk5555

Thanks for the advice.

Drip dry?

KevinG

The smoke adheres better if they aren't dripping wet going into the smoker. It makes less of a mess also. I just put some paper towels on my refrigerator shelf, put the meat on the racks, then put the racks on the paper towels in my fridge. Leave them sit for at least a couple of hours to run off the excess liquid that wasn't soaked up during your seasoning (if you used any liquid for seasoning) if not you won't need to drip dry.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Indy Smoker

Hello,

I make jerky in the Bradley all the time and it comes out . . . as my friends tell me. . . .damn good !!

1) I use venison, but if using beef use something lean and cut away any extra fat that you can.  Flank steak or a rump roast would work.
2) I have a jerky slicer that attaches to my grinder that does the job for me. . .like I said I make it all the time.  You want to get the cuts as uniform as possible, use a slicer or very sharp knife to have them as close as possible for thickness, this helps to not have any dried out or undercooked pieces.
3) I use the LEM brand seasoning - I marinate in the reveo tumbler, but soaking overnight or a day also works.  I also like peppered and add a cup of 'fresh' course ground peppercorns prior to marinating.
4) Cook in the Bradley at 200 with the vent wide open for 6-7 hours rotating racks about every hour bottom to top.
5) Just lay it on the racks if thats all you have.  I have the frog mats sold by Yard & Pool to make cleanup a breeze. (did I mention that I make a lot ??)
6) I cook mine in a BDS and do not add any smoke - I'm gonna catch grief for saying that!.  I have cooked during the day and rotate racks religiously and have also put in the smoker at midnight and pull it when I get up the next morning, works both ways.  The uniform size cuts will make the end result a positive experience.

Let me know if you have anyother questions/concerns.

Good Luck !!

RAF128

If you're going to use a recipe, make small batches.   That way if you don't like what comes out, it's not that big a loss.     Since this is your first time I'd suggest a jerky kit.   As mentioned LEM has them.   I use the Hi Mountain kits.   They're easy and come with good instructions.     As far as slicing I've tried a number of things including a meat slicer.    Might meat wasn't cool enough and trying to put it through the slicer was more trouble than it was worth.   I bought a jerky slicer, from Hi Mountain.    It comes with a board with a boarder around the edge.   There are 2 different thicknesses.   It also comes with a very sharp knife.   Had it for years and still haven't had to sharpen the knife.   It only takes a few minutes to slice up a big batch.   
Also when you're cutting your meat cut with the grain.

Friar_Tuck

I agree with the small batches idea.  It is heartbreaking to do a huge batch and then find out the recipe was not what you like.  For slicing, take a clean board, and mount two pieces of 1/4" dowel, or an arrow shaft on the board, parallel, about 4" apart.  Then just lay your meat between them, and run an electric knife, or a very sharp knife, across the tops of the dowels.  You will then get nice uniform slices.   Another thing to remember is to take the jerky out just a bit before you think it is done.  The jerky always seems to harden, and dry a bit as it cools, so if you leave it in until it is the way you like it, it will be overdone when it settles.
Jim

wkahler

I buy rump roast when i am out of deer meat.  I take to the counter at Krogers and have them slice it thin for me, and it seems to work out really well.  Just remember to make it in small enough batches that will fit in the smoker OK.  I made the mistake of making 7lbs at once the other day on my Traeger and it worked just made to fab up a fancy way of adding some smoker racks to make it easier to move the meat around!!  Good luck and there is a wealth of information here so i know you are in good hands!!!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Indy Smoker

Forgot to mention. . ..
I have an extra set of 4 racks that I invert  so I double my space in the smoker also

BigJohnT

For jerky I installed the extra rack kit from Scott just so I don't drop an upside down tray again...

John

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: BigJohnT on December 14, 2010, 10:11:21 AM
For jerky I installed the extra rack kit from Scott just so I don't drop an upside down tray again...

John

John - I've looked around for the extra rack kit for my 4 rack and haven't found it yet. Who is this Scott guy and how do I get in touch eith him. Thanks!

Sailor

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on December 14, 2010, 10:17:14 AM
Quote from: BigJohnT on December 14, 2010, 10:11:21 AM

John

John - I've looked around for the extra rack kit for my 4 rack and haven't found it yet. Who is this Scott guy and how do I get in touch eith him. Thanks!

Scott is Smokeitall on the forum.  Here is the link to get the rack kits.  http://smokeandstuff.com/index.php/categories/extra-rack-kits

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SoCalBuilder

Thanks Sailor, just placed the order :)

chooch

I've used the telfon racks with success. I don't know whether the non-stick will eventually wear off but with a few washings it's all there still and works well. Jerky falls right off.

I haven't tried any beef cuts yet, just venison but a key thing I think to pick up on that's already been mentioned is consistent cuts. Having all the meat the same thickness makes it easier to keep an eye on than a variety of cuts that will dry faster and have to be watched more closely lest they turn brittle. I guess since it's low temps and not sensitive it doesn't matter as much that the door is opened frequently but it's nice to just rotate the racks for eveness and be done with it.

Last batch had 1.5 hr's smoke and I could have gone for 2.5 - 3 and it would have been fine. I used the Hi Mtn Inferno with some added black pepper. That kit is kinda weak for my tastes so I had to bump it a notch... still a bit slow on the burn but tastes great.

I think now I'm gonna head over the the butcher to see what's on sale for my next days off!