Any suggested "techniques" for pulled pork

Started by Rudyfo, January 04, 2011, 12:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudyfo

Probably a silly question but i need to ask anyhow...My finished product when I do pulled pork does not look like most pix on here. Mine has more "chunks" of meat instead of "strings"  of meat. Is there some technique or tool that I should be using?  I usually take two forks and start pulling the meat and try to split the chunks if I have them.  Thanks!!

KyNola

Welcome Rudy.  Sounds like maybe you're not taking the internal temp of the meat quite high enough before you take them out.  Most around here will take the IT up to a minimum of 185.  190-200 is even better.  Then, wrap them in foil, then wrap in a big towel and place in an empty cooler(no ice) or microwave oven(don't turn it on) for 3-4 hours.  That's known as FTC or FTM.  They literally should fall apart when you unwrap them and easily pull.

One other thought, are you using a pork butt?  That's what most will use.  If you're using what is known as the "picnic" portion of a shoulder, it doesn't pull as readily as the butt does.

Sorce

I tend to get a mixture of chunks and strings. I like the chunks better, maybe that's because they're normally attached to a nice piece of tasty bark. I use bear paws to pull mine, it was a great investment, makes the whole pulling process a lot quicker and easier.

Indy Smoker

Cook to a temp of 190 and FTC for 3+ hours should give you the results you are looking for.

DTAggie

The barq will be chunks but rest should pull.  I take mine to minimum of 200* and prefer 205* then FTC for a few hours and bone falls right out and pulls like a dream!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

smokin420

look for BEAR PAWS they are a life saver when pulling meat. They are also good for lifting roasts out of roasters or out of the smoker too.
Digital 4 rack Bradley smoker
Sam Baere 1.5 hp meat grinder/stuffer
dual prode AUBER PID
circulation fan
lem 5lbs stuffer
food saver vac sealer

Sorce

Quote from: smokin420 on January 05, 2011, 06:40:24 AM
look for BEAR PAWS they are a life saver when pulling meat. They are also good for lifting roasts out of roasters or out of the smoker too.

Just don't attempt to lift your cooked pork butts with them, they will fall apart.

muebe

Rudy I take my butt up to a IT of 200 degrees before pulling and then FTC for several hours. After that it should then pull apart very easily without any tools or claws...

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)