• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temperature offset during cold temps??

Started by banff_springs, January 05, 2011, 05:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banff_springs

Good morning,
Curious to know if there is a guideline to follow when it comes to hot smoking in the extreme cold? I tried the 2-2-1 method on thawed (previous frozen) pork side ribs. The results were less then desirable. They were smoked @ 170*F for the first two hours, wrapped in foil and hot cooked for a further two hours (same temp) and then the foil was removed and hot smoked for the remaining hour. Internal temp remained consistently above 160*F. Had done a previous batch 3 months ago..same method..same temp (meat was fresh however) and the meat was smoked/cooked perfectly. Meat fell off the bones, guests ate everything right up and even asked me to cook more, this batch was anything but stellar. Not impressed. Did I do something wrong? Was it the cold temp's that did it (the day I smoked it was -27*C). Tips, suggestions, idea's would be appreciated.

Thank You.

GusRobin

I am not sure on the effect of cold temp. I have cooked when the temp was in the teens (F) with no discernable difference. It may be the lower temp you are cooking at. I do ribs at 210-230*.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Like Gus I tend to be in the 220-30 range
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Did you smoke/cook at 170 by choice or because the cabinet wouldn't get any hotter?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

beefmann

im thinking your issue is low temperature. i agree with the temps in the 220 - 230 f range

banff_springs

Odd. The previous recipe suggested a low and slow speed for cooking the ribs. I checked my log and it claims I cooked it at around 165-170 for 5 hours. If it's supposed to be higher, then it makes me wonder how my first batch turned out..Thanks for the feedback.

goblism

Lucky you didn't get sick...those are low temps to be cooking without cure