• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butt Bark and pork texture question

Started by Gaston Guy, January 30, 2011, 04:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston Guy

Last Friday I brought in a 9 lb butt for an office party along with all the fixens.  Everyone loved it and I was pretty happy with it too being my second butt.  Smoked it for 4hr and was in the smoker for exactly 24hr when it hit an IT of 190.  Dumped the water after after 4hrs and didn't open the door again (do you have any idea how hard it is not to peek?)  Yea.....I imagine you do.  I FTC for 3 hr then pulled it  Couple of questions

1.  The bark looks right but it doesn't adhere to the meat like I thought it would.  It's is more like the skin on a chicken.  Real thin and kind of peels right off.  Would keeping it in the smoker to 200 IT or more change this?

2.  The pork was extremely moist when I was pulling.....almost too moist as it would clump together when put in a crock pot.  I am wondering if putting in the crock pot to keep warm (1/2 hr before serving had something to do with it.  Would a higher IT perhap to 200 give me a better texture?   

FLBentRider

What rub did you use?

From 190 to 200 IT (and up), the meat will get a softer texture.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gaston Guy

KyNola

I have found that if the butt has a very thick at cap on it, that the bark does have a tendency to do as you described.  Lately I have been trimming the fat cap.  Not a lot of folk do that but I find that the butt is still plenty moist and the bark is firmly attached to the meat .  Another added benefit is I don't have as much fat to pick out when pulling the butt.

muebe

Make sure you leave the vent on the Bradley fully open....otherwise you will have too much moisture inside the smoker. As KyNola stated make sure to trim the fat cap. And also place the butt with fat cap down. 4 hours of smoke time is too short for a 24 hour cook time in my opinion. Also the crock pot may have caused the bark to soften during the warming period.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

classicrockgriller

I like the 195 + IT range and when I FTC it will raise the butt IT up and over 200*

Pulls great and helps finish melting the collagen tissues.

KyNola had some good advice about trimming the fat cap back a little.

But the vent position on a butt is important due to the moisture in the butt.

3/4 to full open. (I took the vent off mine so it is always full open) That will

help to give you a harder bark.

If we had pics we could help more. ;D

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Hiram

I'm a newbie so what do I know, but if you slap some mustard on that baby you'll have firm bark.

DTAggie

I don't slather my butt.  I do trim some fat off and I always cook fat cap up.  Take my butt to 200* then FTC for 3 hrs minimum.  End up vac sealing most of them.  Have never had a problem with the barq geeting soft on reheat in a crock pot.

When I pull mine, first thing I do is pull the barq off and set aside, then pull the meat.  Then I rough chop the barq and mix in. I did one Friday and gave it 8 hrs of smoke.  Usually I do 6 hrs minimum.  and always keep the vent FULL open