• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Old's, this one is for you

Started by SmokinMoe, September 25, 2005, 03:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Ok, I had my new friend who drove the truck down to Baton Rouge and Woodville, TX (who just got nailed by Rita)and his wife over last night to "debrief" him, lol and wanted to smoke a Boston Butt for the occasion. I put the rub on it, and at 2 AM Friday morning, I was set to go to start the smoking process. I usually put my guru on and set in ramp mode, go to sleep for 4 hours, get up, change the water and then go about my day. NOT THIS TIME!! My guru power raptor was messed up and wouldn't work. I had to go to plan B which was to actually use the slider (which I have NEVER done).  Now, at 2 AM, this was NOT making me happy.  I had to sit there and make sure I knew what the temp. was and where the slider was for at least 4 hours before I felt comfortable enough to go to sleep.  I was exhausted by the time we ate at 6:30 pm because I only got one hour of sleep!!
I immediately thought of you, OLDS, since you said that all of the newbies should smoke withOUT the guru so we knew how to do that.  And, I always said, to myself, I don't have the time.  Well, I wished I would've done that on a leisurely smoke, because the pressure was on to get this one out on time so I could FTC it.
Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I now agree with your advice.  And, I wanted to give you credit.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I now agree with your advice. And, I wanted to give you credit.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Wow~~~! What can I say?  However, I know that one day you will pass this information on to another new person.

Believe there have been times...now that I'm older that I wish I had that fancy do-dad you all use.

Please take the time to read the following and the next time you have to do this again it might  shave a little time off the period you have to worry. This will of course depend upon how much your are smokin'.

<hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">

The basic way I always do this is to pre-heat my box to the maximum--for at least one hour. I want the whole box itself hot not just the surface of it. (Keep in mind my box will hit 300 F within 35 minutes or so if empty.) Once the box itself is hot I move the slider to about the 60%-70% mark. Now if I'm smokin' 2 hours I will add one more puck to make it a total of 7 pucks. I start the pucks once I have turned down the slider to 60% - 70%. 12-15 minutes later I will add my meat. NOW DON'T THINK ME CRAZY HERE, I will leave the door open for a good  minute once the item I'm smokin' is in the box. After that I close the door.

What this does is a few things.
1. My box itself is really hot--walls etc., so I don't have to worry with adjusted the heating element due to the box being just semi-warm.
2. My generator is in full smokin' mode.
3. By reducing the air temp within the box I don't have to wait an hour or a hour and a half for the box temp to drop back low enough to start finding that sweet spot on the slider.
4. 30 minutes after I close the door I ckeck the box temp. and adjust slider if needed. But only move it 1/8th - 3/16th of an inch per time checked. I open the door for 20 seconds or so if I had to adjust to a lower slide setting.
5. At the one hour mark I re-check an re-adjust as needed. If needed I again will open the door for 20 seconds or so if I had to adjust to a lower setting.
6. At the 90 minute mark I re-ckeck and re-adjust as needed.

I have found that by doing it this way that generally speaking by the 90 minute mark the smoke is stable and I really don't have to make anymore changed unless there is a major change in the ambient temperature. Note if I have to make a change at the 90 minute mark I will again check at the 120 minute mark.

Once I know my smoke is stable I seldom will check again until the 4 hour mark. If all is still good then I will not check it again for several hours.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Slow Smoker

OLD's
Nice article, i will print it for future reference.
Thanks for all your helpful posts. [:D]
Steve

I might be "SLOW" but!
 i'm "INEFFECIENT" :O)

Oldman

You are welcome... and one day when you are old like me I'm sure you will pass on the little things you've learned.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Indy

<i>My guru power raptor was messed up and wouldn't work. I had to go to plan B which was to actually use the slider (which I have NEVER done).</i>

What exactly is a Guru Power Raptor, and, with Smokin Joe's problems... does it work?

Indy

I just answered my own question about what the Guru is by doing a search and checking a website. A couple of questions for the forum here:

1) Are these easy to install and use?
2) Which model(part number if possible) gives the best bang for the buck for a Bradley SS Smoker.
3) Is the expense worth the hell I'm going to catch from my wife for "buying more crap for that damn smoker!"

Thanks All!

Indy

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2"><font color="blue">Is the expense worth the hell I'm going to catch from my wife for "buying more crap for that damn smoker!" </font id="blue"></font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Not if you buy your wife a dozen roses that have been dipped in 24K gold.  [^]

Unless you just have to go wireless remote, you might consider <b><font color="blue">This Unit</font id="blue"></b> as it is a true plug n' play. From the reports posted it is real close on spot with a +/- of 2 degress. I was going to go that route but decided to follow <b><font color="blue">Norbert's Lead</font id="blue"></b> with this PID controller... however it is not a plug n' play unit. I like the way Norbert installed it. It is a great idea.

Olds

Indy

Thanks Olds, I'll probably go with the "Plug and Play" version. It seems a lot simpler to install, and I'm sorry to say that while I've been accused of being "Hand<b>sy</b>" a time or two in my single days, I don't think I've ever been called "Hand<b>y</b>".

Now all I have to do is think of a way to keep my wife from having a fit [}:)] that I bought more smoker supplies! I might try those roses you suggested. I'll tell her that the hardware store had a deal where if you buy your wife a dozen roses, you get a free temperature control for your smoker, and all for only $150.... hmmm, I have my doubts already.[:D]

Thanks,

Indy

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">all for only $150.... hmmm, I have my doubts already<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As far as the cost of the rose go you are correct.... $150 is not going to get-er-done. I give one to my wife each year we are married on her bithday and they are going now for around $65.00 each. [:0]

Each year she get those extra long stem roses. One for each year she is old. Plus one gold one to grow on.  This is the only time I've known of a woman who does not care if someone knows of her age~~~LOL!

Olds

Indy

Olds,

You've got a lucky woman! My wife's birthday is coming up next month, and I was thinking about getting her either a new vacuum cleaner or tickets for two to a basketball game! [:D]

Actually my wife's 6 months pregnant with our first and we're going on one last "pre-parent" vacation next week. I might just have to check out those gold roses while I'm there.

Thanks,

Indy

Oldman

Well congrats on the baby~~!  Man O man those were good times for me... I do hope they will be good times for you folks.

Olds