Chicken Help

Started by Dirt Clod, June 03, 2011, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Clod

Want to try a chicken. Any suggestion,how long to cook, IT, use rub or not any info would be appreciated. thanks

smoker pete

Vent WIDE OPEN!  Temp at 250ºF.  Cook to an IT of 165ºF in the thickest part of the breast.  This should put the thigh/drumstick at around 180ºF.  Apple, Pecan, or Hickory bisquettes usually work well for me ;D

I like to rub it with EVOO and then apply your favorite rub/spices/seasonings under and on the skin.  Jan's Dry Rub is a killer with chicken.  Here's a link to the Jan's Dry Rub.  Carolina Treet is also great for a glue instead of EVOO and also is great with Jan's Dry Rub.

Good Luck ... and have fun ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

wyoduke

Quote from: smoker pete on June 03, 2011, 05:32:20 PM
Vent WIDE OPEN!  Temp at 250ºF.  Cook to an IT of 165ºF in the thickest part of the breast.  This should put the thigh/drumstick at around 180ºF.  Apple, Pecan, or Hickory bisquettes usually work well for me ;D

I like to rub it with EVOO and then apply your favorite rub/spices/seasonings under and on the skin.  Jan's Dry Rub is a killer with chicken.  Here's a link to the Jan's Dry Rub.  Carolina Treet is also great for a glue instead of EVOO and also is great with Jan's Dry Rub.

Good Luck ... and have fun ;D
Pete has you covered
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

hal4uk

Flip it over now and then... That will help the skin to be crispier --- Not that it's going to get very "crispy" in the smoker.
Might wanna finish it off on the grill.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Hopefull Romantic

I believe you are already covered but just wanted to add to keep that vent fully open on your smoker. Chicken emits alot of moisture.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

As for the IT; If it is whole chicken I generally measure at the thickest part of the thigh; to 162°F - 165°F. If it is chicken parts I place the dark meat and white meat on seperate trays. I cook the dark meat as mentioned earlier, but only take the breast meat up to 152°F - 155°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dirt Clod