• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Does anyone marinade their Butts?

Started by Carter, June 01, 2011, 01:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

Hi Folks,

I've got a butt just hanging around in my fridge right now that I'm not cooking until Friday night/Saturday morning.  I'm going to be doing the Renowned Mr. Brown, but I was wondering if anyone has ever thrown it in a marinade for awhile before applying the rub.  I was thinking of putting some knife holes in it and sticking some garlic into it to see what would happen, but was hoping to get someone else's experience and possibly a recommendation.

Same question for Ribs.  If I'm not cooking until Saturday, is it OK to marinade them for 3 days or is that too much.  Also looking for a recommendation on one if anyone has one.

Thanks

Carter

muebe

Your better off injecting it with a butter/garlic mixture instead of cutting holes in it. You can press some fresh garlic in melted butter and use the larger hole syringe for the marinade injector ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

You want some garlic flavor in that butt?

Try melting a stick of butter and adding garlic powder to your taste and inject that.

What I have done is take the same rub your putting on the outside and run the rub threw the grinder to make a powder then mix that in a stick of butter and inject that.

Youll have the flavor of the rub all the way threw that butt.

I dont do any thing to my ribs but a rub and maybe some brown sugar.

If you do marinade I wouldnt go much over a couple hr in the marinade, you dont want to break down the muscle texture and be eating mush.

Let us know how things go.

Carter

Thanks OU812 & Muebe.  Great responses.  I was concerned about over marinating and you confirmed what I suspected.

I may just do what I've always done.  Mr. Brown on the Pork the night before with a Mustard Slather & the ribs with a rub put on a couple of hours prior.  I haven't decided which rub/sauce to go with yet for the ribs.

I'll try to take some pictures.

Carter

Habanero Smoker

I've never marinated one, but when I make Cuban Style BBQ pork I will inject and brine.

The following link to the recipe includes the type of brine I use, and you can smoke/cook your pork in the manner you want. One change I have made in the preparation is that I no longer make the slits I now inject about 10% brine solution of the green weight. You don't have to be exact on the amount you inject; you are brining for flavor - not for curing.

Cuban Style BBQ Pork

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Thanks again,

We're having my work colleague's over for dinner Saturday night.  Doing Pulled Pork Sandwiches with appetizers of Kummok's smoked salmon, ribs and ABT's (and even some Brazilian Beer Chicken for the non-pork eater) and that's only from the smoker.  We'll also do some non-smoked baked beans, cole slaw guacamole, and corn muffins, brownies & strawberries.  All to be washed down with homemade Planter's Punch, Barley Sandwiches, and Red Wine (everybody is taking a cab/transit).

I'm going home to do a "no rain" dance.

Carter

OU812

Sounds like quite the feast.

Hope the rain dance works for ya.

Habanero Smoker

I generally don't ask for pictures, but I sure would love to see some pictures of your rain dance. :D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

crestman

I like to infuse the butter. For me, it works allot better. Just give the cloves a whack with the flat of a knife to open em up, throw em in some butter and heat on stove. Don't take the heat up to much or it will reduce the butter too much (don't want to waist that stuff!!!) and allot of extra heat won't change the amount of flavor anyway, other than reducing and concentrating, but not here. Taste and when you're happy scoop out the cloves and discard them (NOT THE BUTTER!!). Then pump that stuff into your butt. I also throw in some rosemary with the garlic and discard at the same time. Once that's done I add some rub. I make sure I "dust" the rub in the food pro so it dissolves to nothing fast with minimal heat. You'll need to add liquid at this point; I use apple cider / juice.

Carter

Hey I just wanted to do a quick follow up from my family BBQ a couple of weeks ago.  Everything worked out amazing.  I've got some pictures, but most of them are before and I'm terrible about posting.

Sorry no "no rain" dance photos though.  It didn't work anyways because it rained for most of the day.  I had to use a tarp over the smoker the whole time.  Fortunately it all cleared by bbq time and all worked out for the guests.

I'm sold on ABT's.  I used Macedonian sausage for the meet and smoked them for a couple of hours.  Wow!!  Why did I wait so long?

Thanks for the advice folks.  Everyone was full and satisfied.

Carter

OU812

Good to here everyone enjoyed the food you spent many hard hours sweating away over the smoker.  ;)

Habanero Smoker

Other then the rain, I'm glad to hear everything else went well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.