• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Guru-less and a turkey breast

Started by SmokinMoe, November 14, 2005, 02:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Hey guys, I am around, just reading and not posting due to time.
My guru/competitor is in for repairs and I am beginning to read up again on Turkeys.
After doing a search, I need to ask these as I can't find the answers.  After searching,  I can't believe I brined a turkey for two days last Thanksgiving, how embarrassing.
Ok, I have decided to give Turkey another shot.  I bought a turkey breast and there are no additives to this.  No preservatives, etc.  all organic.  
So, do I still need to brine this Turkey Breast?  Since there are no preservatives, etc. I thought I may need to brine. It is a 6 pound TURKEY breast. I know I said that before, just trying to keep Chez and the others on subject.  LOL
If so, do I only brine for about 10 hours since it is only about 6 lbs.?  
Also, I wondered if smoking it at 200 degrees was a good plan and would plan for the time accordingly, or would you do this at 350 degrees?
I smoked one a few weeks back because it got thawed out by accident (another story) so, I didn't have time to brine and it came out way too dry.  Also, no room for the bacon rack on top.  So, I just need a way to make this one worthwhile.
Miss you guys, hopefully, after Christmas I will have more time to post.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SmokinMoe

I found all of those recipes, thanks, Olds.  
But, I wanted to know IF you HAVE to brine a breast to keep it moist or can you just put it in and smoke?
Can you lay bacon directly on the turkey breast AND have a rack above to keep from drying out or would that be overkill?
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

bsolomon

You don't HAVE to brine, but it does improve the texture, and it certainly will help prevent what you're worried about - namely drying out during the cooking process.  It also can impart flavor if you wish.  For example, I have been brining with poultry with a recipe I found that includes apple juice, quartered oranges, and sliced fresh ginger.  This makes a good sweet counterpoint to a spicier rub on the surface.  By the way, JJC's research showed that 1hr/lb is the correct brining time for whole turkey, so I would think the same would hold true for just the breast.  Therefore, you should brine for 6 hrs, and not 10 hrs.

As to the bacon:  if you have a choice put it in the top rack.  The air/heat circulation around the bacon will probably help render the fat out better than if you place it directly on the surface of meat.  I think I would do one or the other, but probably not both.

JJC

Glad to see you back, Moe!  I would brine (closer to 6 hr as Barry says) and put the bacon on the top rack.  I also finish my turkeys/turkey breasts off in the oven to crisp up the skin.  Let us know how things turn out . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jb9

Did someone say breast?

Smoking at 200 is probably good, but you could come down a little in temp if you wanted. I think when I did my whole turkey, it was closer to 190 and was the most moist (moistest?) turkey I've ever had. It also had a 24 hour brine. Two days is a pretty long time. Shoulda put some clown fish in there to keep him company. [:p]

JJC

I think the key thing, as jb9 is aluding to, is to make sure the temp is below the boiling point of water (212F at sea level). In a completely flat and accurate thermal world, 190 vs. 200 should not make a difference.  However, given the vagaries of temp probes and gauges, altitude and atmospheric pressure issues, etc., 190 is a safer bet for producing a moister bird, though it will take a bit longer.  However, if you like experiment, as I do, try both temps, and if 200 (or for that matter 210) works as well as 190, then by all means use the higher temp since it will get you done faster.

John
Newton MA

Added in edit:  do your experimenting with chickens!  they're quicker and cheaper than turkeys . . .
John
Newton MA