Smoking with the 3-2-1 Method

Started by Smokin OC, August 31, 2011, 01:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin OC

I realize I'm a green horn here, but have done my due diligance on this subject, with mixed results and answers. Was hoping to get the OBS opinions here.
When smoking spareribs and doing the 3-2-1 method, after the 3hr initial smoke, do I keep actual smoke going for the 2hr foil and 1 hr firming period or just heat and only smoke the 1st 3 hrs?? I know many of you will have different opinions, so would like to weigh my options and pick the best answer that suits me..
How do you all feel about the FTC method? Should I do this after a 3-2-1? or is that just crazy overkill? :-\

Thanks everyone and hope for a Great Holiday Weekend!!!! ;D

KyNola

Smoke only during the 3 hour initial period.  From there on out no need for additional smoke.

For ribs, FTC is used primarily as a way to keep them warm until serving.  FTC for a butt or brisket is to allow the juices to redistribute and continue to soften the meat.  If you don't want to FTC ribs, no big deal.

Others will come along with a more learned opinion.

OU812

Also the 3-2-1 is just a ball park to go by, some times it will take 3-3-1 or 3-1-1 depending what the ribs are doing for ya.

When doing the foil thing I will leave the ribs in the foil till the meat has pulled back from the bone about 1/4" to 1/2"

I like to pour a splash of hot beer on the ribs before sealing up the foil, a splash to me is enough to wet the ribs but not drown them.

With the last hr or so I do the bone twist to tell if done, some times it will take longer some times not.

Or you could use a toothpick to see if there done. If the toothpick goes in easy there done, if not cook a bit longer.

Oh Ya I cook my ribs with the smoker set at 250 F

mikecorn.1

Looks like they got ya covered.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

wthr_dude

I do a lot of ribs and the above posts sound like some good info.  I have tried less and more smoke than the 3 hours but I usually stick to 3 hours now.  As for the foil I don't add anything I just wrap them extremely tight and toss them back in at 225 and usually in 2-3 hrs they are starting to pull away from the bone a bit (i dont like them to get too done and "fall off the bone")  I then either take them out smother some sauce on them and throw them back in the smoker for an hour or so, you can also take them off and throw them on the grill for a few minutes. 

Smokin OC

All great opinions.. I will give it a whirl this weekend.. Hopefully they turn out great.. I appreciate all the replies and feel free to chime on for more opinions, they all matter and are all good info for future reference.. Love the Bradley so far and this Forum kicks ass.. I do wish someone else would make some good wood pucks/bisquettes to try and cut the cost a lil on the Originals from Bradley.. I have seen some of the threads on some guys making them, but nothing mass produced..

ghost9mm

Smokin OC... you will be successful following what these fellas told ya...and to prove just how good you did, post some pictures of your success...just let us know how you made out ...have a really great week end...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill