Brisket Questions - Flat? Point?

Started by Smoking Alligator, November 05, 2011, 09:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Alligator

From what I understand, Brisket has two parts, the point and the flat. 

When smoking a brisket, the thermometer is placed through the point and the flat, or only through the flat?
The flat is meant to be cut in slices and the point is supposed to be sliced and diced?  Is this what is called burnt ends?  Does the point need to be cooked for a longer period of time than the flat?

Someone wrote on their forum that they pulled off the brisket when it reached 195, the separated the flat from the point, put the flat in FTC and continued cooking the point for 2.5 more hours, states that these were the best burnt ends ever tasted.  Can someone please explain?? :-\

I went to the local butcher and ordered a 10 lb brisket since they are very hard to come across with where I live, they have to be specially ordered.  I hear so much about brisket, I want to try it out this weekend. I thought it all was to be done low and slow and pulled out of the smoker at 195-205 but got all confused reading about flats and points being done at different times.

GusRobin

Here is a link to a very good tutorial on briskets. It is not bradley specific but is a good general knowledge.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882&highlight=brisket+flat+point+fat
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Stickbowcrafter

If you have a super Wal-Mart in your neck of the woods, they carry whole briskets. I normally separate the point and flat before I put the rub on. A whole brisket, flat and point, will not fit in a Bradley, or most other home size smokers. I leave both the point and the flat in for the same amount of time, taking the internal temperature from the flat. Pick up the book "Whatcha Need To Know To Barbecue Like A Pro" by Ron Lutz. Only resource I ever read on making briskets and every one of mine have been delicious.

-Brian

Caneyscud

From what I understand, Brisket has two parts, the point and the flat.

Yup and the link did a good job of outlining the different parts.

When smoking a brisket, the thermometer is placed through the point and the flat, or only through the flat?

It doesn't really matter, especially once once you get used to cooking brisket.  The flat being thinner, will get to temp faster. than the point which is thicker.  If you stick the probe in the flat and smoke to 185 or 190 then the point will not likely be up to that temp.  Likewise if you stick the probe in the point, and cook to 195 or so, then the flat will be well above that.  So I usually put the probe in the point, and smoke it to 185, then the point isn't too overdone.  Did two this weekend that way. 

The flat is meant to be cut in slices and the point is supposed to be sliced and diced? 

There is an old song "Those boots are made for walking....".  Well there's another "That brisket is made for slicing....."!  The whole thing can be sliced.  The link shows to separate the point from the flat and slice separately.  That is because the grain runs in different directions and is a very good way.  But then again if you don't have a lot of time because of circling vultures (diners) then you just slice.   

Is this what is called burnt ends?

Yes, sorta, not really!  A little history of burnt ends.  Now in the brisket capital of the world, Texas, you did not see burnt ends until relatively recently.  They know how to cook brisket properly.  Now, then up comes this newcomer area - Kansas City.  They thought they knew how to cook brisket, but, they had to come up with a dish to use their overcooked brisket.  It started with the somewhat overdone trimmings that used to be lain aside while carving and thrown away or put in a stew or something.  The dish Burnt Ends probably originated at Arthur Bryant's in KC.  Now the burnt end world has changed.  People will separate the point from the flat and cook the point longer to render out the prodigious amount of fat.  When they did that, there were more of the good bits to trim off.  It evolved into people actually cutting the fattier portions up into cube and smoking for a longer period of time to get intense flavor.  Then putting on the sauce.  Into people doing the same with pork.  Whatever, they are good eats for many!

Does the point need to be cooked for a longer period of time than the flat?

If it is thicker - yes it will usually take longer to get to the desired IT.  But then you could put it in a hotter part of your smoker and it might get to the desired IT at the same time.

Someone wrote on their forum that they pulled off the brisket when it reached 195, the separated the flat from the point, put the flat in FTC and continued cooking the point for 2.5 more hours, states that these were the best burnt ends ever tasted.  Can someone please explain?? :-\ 

Quite possible and common in some circles - see above answer.

I went to the local butcher and ordered a 10 lb brisket since they are very hard to come across with where I live, they have to be specially ordered.  I hear so much about brisket, I want to try it out this weekend. I thought it all was to be done low and slow and pulled out of the smoker at 195-205 but got all confused reading about flats and points being done at different times.

I'm not sure I'd take to 195 to 205, especially for slicing and especially if that is the IT of the point end of the brisket - you are more in the IT of shredding.  I usually leave my briskets whole and smoke until the thicker part is 185. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smoking Alligator

That is some great explanation.  I finally got it down.  Thank you very much for your feedback!!