• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pastrami

Started by cathouse willy, October 27, 2011, 06:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I have a brisket curing for pastrami ( Habenaro's recipe) that comes out of the cure today. It turns out that dinner plans have been delayed for a week.It was prev frozen and it may need to go back in the freezer for a few days due to the delay.I'm wondering first off, is it a good idea to refreeze it and secondly should it be cooked first or refrozen right out of the cure?
Cheers
Bill

FLBentRider

I have just rested it after the cure for about 3 days with no ill effects.

Or you could freeze it now and then defrost and smoke later.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Is it a few days or a week before you get around to smoking/cooking it?

If it is a few days, then I would wrap it tight in plastic, and then maybe a layer of foil. If it is going to be a week until you get to it, since it has been cured I would wrap it as described above and put it in the freezer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

Well the dinner has been put off for two weeks now. I'm going to smoke it tomorrow and eat it myself. I'll plan something else for the dinner in two weeks. I'll just ask one more question. Would you freeze it cured only and smoke it after thawing or freeze it cured and hot smoked to 160 f?
Thanks for the help.
Bill

Habanero Smoker

Either would work. If you have the time to smoke/cook first then freeze that would be the better option.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

So the pastrami came out of the smoker on last  sat and rested for 2 days. I cut myself a good slab and will freeze the rest.
Started here

After some prep and time on the sandwhich grill I ended up with a couple of these. I do like Reubens!

squirtthecat

ananomoly

MidKnightRider

Nice!, great looking sandwich!
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

ghost9mm

I am getting ready to make up a pastrami later this week, looks like you have a winner...that sammie looks killer...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

Wow that sammie looks just great, one of my favorites!

OU812

Good lookin hunk of beef and a Reuben is one of my favoret sammies.

Nice job.

Stickbowcrafter

Looks delicious! Nice job.

-Brian