• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Copper River Sockeye

Started by JJC, January 08, 2006, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Just saw "Copper River Wild Sockeye Salmon, Previously Frozen" for 7.99 at my local market and bought several pounds for making lox.  The color is a beautiful orange-red.

Is the previously frozen nature of the fillet a problem for lox or any other recipes?  Is sockeye as lean as it appears compared to other salmon?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

john, Previously Frozen salmon will be just fine for lox, i feel it gives that extra edge for firmness,

iceman

Smokehouse is right about the previous frozen part. I think it makes a firmer product also. Copper River reds also make a wonderful kippered salmon. They along with the Yukon reds have a fairly high fat content because of the long trip they have to make up river. It's not the soft type of fat like in the kings and silvers. I'm glad I still have a freezer full @ 7.99 a pound. You'll really enjoy the flavor and texture. Have fun with the lox JJC.[:D]

Big or small you can smoke'm all!!!

Kummok

John, try http://www.copperriverfestival.com/facts.html for info and links to more than an average person might want to know about Copper River salmon, both Kings (Chinook) and Reds (Sockeye).

The Copper River Red arguably seems to be the favorite of most Alaskan salmon eaters with whom I've discussed this "flavor/texture" thing. Quite possibly because of the early catch, the dark red color, and the excellent marketing, but DEFINITELY because they are very tasty. I prefer feeder Kings, (also sometimes called Winter Kings up here), especially the white Kings, (although the whites don't smoke up as colorful as the orange!). To compare the Copper River Reds to Feeder Kings is like asking if you'd rather have US$1,000,000 or £566,733GBP ...Either way, you're better off! [:D][;)]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

iceman

I keep forgetting Kummok has the ability to pluck those babys right out of the ocean before they head upstream. Man, how fortunate can a guy get. I'll be in Homer a few times this summer and will definately look you up. Snag a few for me next time out.[^]

Kummok

Why wait Iceman?!?!?.....LOTS of Winter King lip-ripping going on right now. Weather's (read W-I-N-D) cooperating the last few days and fish are coming aboard like horses aimed at the barn! [:p]  As concerns snagging, that'll have to wait until next Spring's Red run in Sadie Cove [:)] By all means look us up....email ahead for current fishing/weather report! [8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

iceman

Will do Kummok. Thanks<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />Why wait Iceman?!?!?.....LOTS of Winter King lip-ripping going on right now. Weather's (read W-I-N-D) cooperating the last few days and fish are coming aboard like horses aimed at the barn! [:p]  As concerns snagging, that'll have to wait until next Spring's Red run in Sadie Cove [:)] By all means look us up....email ahead for current fishing/weather report! [8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

JJC

Thanks, all!  Copper River Sockeye is terrific!  Incredible color, very firm texture, makes for a great lox!  I'll stock up next time its on sale here and try some other things with it, too.

Kummock, thanks for the website link--haven't had a chance to peruse it yet but I defninitely will!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA