• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

ABTs in oven...any tricks?

Started by kleen2000, August 03, 2012, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleen2000

I've done my share of abt's in the Bradley, but it's down and out right now and I have to cook some tomorrow. Thoughts from those who've done them in the oven? Any tips/tricks? How are they compared to in the Bradley?

Kevin

Up In Smoke

I have not done ABTs in the oven but if it is smoke flavor you are worried about you can always use a drop of LS in your filling when mixing.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mikecorn.1

I like to make mine in my SRG, sorry. You could try to use the broil feature to crisp them up nice.
Look something like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

You might want to precook the bacon about half- or two thirds done - it takes much longer than the pepper and stuffing..

Habanero Smoker

Use a heavy smoked bacon, and a oven temperature of 375°F. You need to watch them closely. I would say it should take 15 - 20 minutes.

Below is a tip on how to parcook bacon, that I got from one of the Cook's Illustrated grilling books.

Place strips of bacon on a microwave proof heavy plate, and place another heavy plate on top. Place in microwave and microwave on high for 1 to 3 minutes. The bacon should have rendered about some of its fat and have shrunk a little, but still pliable to wrap around the food. (The plate on top of the bacon helps prevent the bacon for shriveling too much). Start with one minute and then use 30 second intervals, but do not cook over 3 minutes. You don't want to over cook the bacon. Allow bacon to cool, before handling.

If you want to kick things up; when bacon is cool enough to handle, dredge one side of each piece of bacon through a sugar and ground black pepper mixture.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ratherbboating

Mikecorn them look good.  So good that I think I will make a few for supper.  I will note that I have to put toothpicks in them to keep the bacon wrapped (homemade bacon, have to keep slices under 7" because of slicer).
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Mr Walleye

Habs

I like the dredge in sugar and black pepper idea!  ;)

I'll have to give that try next time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

I can't take credit for that, that also came from CI. Sometimes when I am wrapping medallions, I will also add some dry herbs in with the sugar a pepper, such as thyme or ground rosemary.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OldHickory

Hab's, the pre- cook in the microwave is a great idea, I will try that one, goes with KH's suggestion.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

ratherbboating

A few pictures from grilling last night.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

mikecorn.1

Mike