• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Baby Backs and ½ a Butt

Started by thirtydaZe, September 10, 2012, 10:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Hadn't ran the offset smoker in a while.  Last time i did so i found myself discouraged.

A.  The taste
B.  The tediousness of feeding logs all day long.

Anyhow, finally gave in, loaded up ½ bag of lump charcoal, a few oak chunks, a chimney of lit charcoal, set the damper and walked away.

I was able to maintain 250* + or - all day without babysitting.

here's how it turned out.

It was a favorite for all who ate it.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

mikecorn.1

Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

OldHickory

Looks good to me.  I have a "old " New Braunfels that has the offset firebox that I use for large cooks, still works great.  I have installed a Auber controler, and this has brought the old cooker up to easy street use.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kkYEi1Rc62M/Tr1_a0K4O-I/AAAAAAAACRI/l4KMXKk1py8/s800/P1010032.JPG

Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: OldHickory on September 10, 2012, 10:48:01 AM
Looks good to me.  I have a "old " New Braunfels that has the offset firebox that I use for large cooks, still works great.  I have installed a Auber controler, and this has brought the old cooker up to easy street use.

do you burn logs?  You use the Auber to control the temps automatically?

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

OldHickory

Yes, I burn year old oak logs I cut here on the ranch with large chunk hickory from HD.  I start things out with natural chunk charcoal.

This is the fan install at the offset fire box using the vent and a addapter plate I made.

This is the Auber controler for the fan and temp.  Once at target temp, the variance is about 10* as you keep the fire steady.

Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: OldHickory on September 10, 2012, 11:55:32 AM
Yes, I burn year old oak logs I cut here on the ranch with large chunk hickory from HD.  I start things out with natural chunk charcoal.

This is the fan install at the offset fire box using the vent and a addapter plate I made.

This is the Auber controler for the fan and temp.  Once at target temp, the variance is about 10* as you keep the fire steady.

that is a NICE setup.  you can get that at the same place as the digital smoker pid?

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

OldHickory

Yes.  Go to Auber Instruments on line  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.auberins.com%2F&ei=cmpOULuHO7LDyQHAk4C4Cg&usg=AFQjCNEHL5kQthHaCR1iVQbh2bv4SyLk_A&sig2=CiuOWosowa8FcIFeEYuPBg  Then go to smoker controlers for charcoal smokers.  You should be able to find what you want.  Just so you know, Bar-B-Que Guru has one too.  I'm not familiar with that one, but I have heard others refer to it.  I have used this one over two years without problems.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker