Belly Bacon Virgin

Started by JZ, September 21, 2012, 11:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

Great site and knowledge for anyone
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

JZ

Thanks for all the replies and lots of info at the site Rexter provided.

Looks like I do not want to go over 150 and will likely go to either 145 or 150 for this first time. Got a week or so to think about it anyways.

Here is a pic of the slabs all wrapped up with the brine.

]

I think I made a mistake when I mixed all of the ingredients together. It was such a thick paste it was hard to cover the slabs with it. I did my best to evenly coat the meat and used what was left to spread over the skin side. After the first overnight sit in the refer there is lots of juice and I made sure to roll it around to coat every part. Next time I think I will coat the slab with the dry ingredients first then pour the maple syrup over afterwards. Live and learn. ;D

Consooger

no way buddy you did it right. It's supposed to look like paste. The ingredients are bringing the moisture out of the bacon which is why you'll have a lot of juice in the bag. DO NOT empty any of the juice. Flip, rub, rotate those bags daily and rub everything back into the bellies. Do so through the bag or else you'll make a big mess and only make your hands/arms sticky  :P
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

ratherbboating

Fox News is reporting that next year there will be a bacon shortage.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/09/25/industry-group-bacon-pork-shortage-unavoidable/?test=latestnews
I am going to stock up now  8)
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Mark in Ottawa

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Gah! Gonna have to fire up the smoker and stockpile!  ;D

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

ratherbboating

Now we are being told that there will not be a shortage, but a large price increase.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/01/bacon-shortage-may-be-hogwash-but-prices-will-still-rise/?intcmp=features
Price of animal feed has risen a lot in the past year and getting higher (I raise cattle).  Some due to drouth and some do to price of corn and some due to the price of fuel going up again.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child