Belly Bacon Virgin

Started by JZ, September 21, 2012, 11:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I got a side of pork from my neighbor and it's been in the freezer for a couple of months. I checked out the pack that says "bacon for smoking" and felt ice crystals in the package. So I think I better smoke this before it gets freezer burned. Here are a couple of pix of the 6 lb slab that I pulled out and put into the fridge overnight to thaw out. There is one more slab that is a little smaller, but I don't want to smoke it at the same time as this one, just in case this one doesn't turn out great. :(

]

]

My neighbor wants me to smoke some of his slabs at the same time but since this is my first time, I told him he better wait to see how this turns out.  ::)

More pix to come.

Consooger

are you curing or brining this or just rolling smoke on this.
are you seasoning this with anything?
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

JZ

I have read quite a lot of threads and have 2 books with recipes and I think I will try this one first, since it has had many good reviews on this site.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6770.msg66218#msg66218

I just found out that we don't have any maple syrup so I am going to have to drive into town to get some. Hope our local grocery store has some or I will have to try another recipe.

Seems that most recipes I have read call for a dry cure so I think that is the route I will take. After 5 to 7 days or whenever it gets firm I am going to smoke it for 3 hrs with either apple or pecan .... not sure yet.  But I am open to suggestions!  :) Not sure if I will take the internal temp to 150 either, I have seen some posts where the bacon is taken to a lower temp. More stuff to think about on my way to the store.

rexster

Instead of maple surpl, after the pork forms a pellicle, lightly rub it down with brown sugar. You won't be sorry
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

JZ

Thanks Rexter .... but I already got the maple syrup (expensive stuff) and will use it this time. The recipe I am using also has brown sugar in the brine. So I am hoping this will be similar to your suggestion. But maybe next time I will give your suggestion a try.

I do have a question for those in the know. I see that people cut their slabs into squares and trim off the odd shaped ends. Is this just for appearances or is there some other reason.????

rexster

I trim mine up so it can fit in Foodsaver bags. The trimmings I keep for seasoning. I do mine before curing and smoking. I usually do 4 full size bellies which gives me 8 pieces about 4 pounds apiece plus the ends
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
Auber PID
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill

JZ

Thanks Rexter .... I didn't think about the packaging afterwards. I will do the same.

I would rather do more slabs at once too. But until I am sure I have found the recipe my family is happy with I don't want to make a big batch. Probably be kicking my a$$ after this for not doing a bigger batch. LOL ;D

Toker

I also trim mine when i see too much fat is not touching the meat on the edges. This way, it avoid meatless slices.

ratherbboating

JZ the recipe you thinking about using is good.  But on temp settings.  Look at what 10.5 uses, that is what I have followed several times and it comes out good.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

JZ

QuoteBut on temp settings.  Look at what 10.5 uses, that is what I have followed several times and it comes out good.

Thanks for that link. So which IT do you go to 140 or 150?

Consooger

I use 10.5's maple cure, best bacon ever, however I only cold smoke my bacon, which probably doesnt help you. I have done bacon my first time around by cooking it and it came out great as well. You won't be sorry nor will you ever buy bacon in the store after this, be warned HAH!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

ratherbboating

I go for an IT of least 150.  Most of the time, around 160.   Seems to turn out right for me.  Good coloring and smoke. and most important, TASTE.
My recent bacon:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=29805.0

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

KyNola

I take my bacon to an IT of 150.  Someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong with what I am about to say but I think pork fat begins to render out at 152.

Toker

Personally, i take it out at 142 knowing that i never eat it raw.

rexster

Stainless 4 rack Bradley
Auber PID
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill